Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale >

100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale

100% cotton sheets...200 threads per square inch cotton percale

Old 03-24-2011, 10:30 AM

i used sheets for these backs. the quilts weigh 900 pounds each, the sheets wrap around to the front, they've lasted 20 years so far. and they're 100% cotton, plain old 180 thread count from j.c.penney.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-22163-1.htm
Old 03-24-2011, 10:52 AM

Target carries 100 % cotton sheets for a reasonable price. I recently found a set of brand new twin 100% cotton sheets(200 thread count) at a thrift store for 5.00 and am using them for piecing a quilt I am making.I think they are just fine, but then I am not worried about the quilt police that I read about on here.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by huntannette
was looking at cotton sheets in Sears.....since a lot of you use them for backing...thought i`d give it a try.....but know nothing about thread count..my question.....what do you think ....for $27.95 brand new???? But the thread count puzzles me...what is 200 per square inch...want something that will be easy to quilt....
As a fellow Canadian, I hear your pain!! Cottons are SO expensive here! I haven't used sheets for quilt backs, but there are loads of quilters on this board that swear by them! A couple of ladies said that they buy used ones as they have been washed and washed and are nice and soft. I don't know how you feel, but I simply can't pay $22.00 per metre for quilting fabrics. I order from Connecting Threads - check out their website. They deliver to Canada for $7.00 shipping (if you place your order online - I think is is $14 if you place it by phone) and charge 10% taxes so everything is paid for upfront. You don't have to pay any additional taxes or duties. Their cottons are fabulous! Nice and thick and great quality. They have loads of solids and beautiful prints that they offer in "collections". Check out their clearance section - they often have kits on sale as well. Good luck and happy quilting!

Linda
Old 03-24-2011, 11:38 AM

Once I saw backing for a king size quilt for $9.99 as a daily special @Nancy's Notions. I guess I should have bought a couple....A local Lutheran Church makes over 400 quilts per year for Charity and they use sheets for front and backs. They are beautiful. Also, they are tied. (my job)
Old 03-24-2011, 11:44 AM

Using a sheet for backing isn't the best way. The sheets are sooo hard to quilt.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by kwhite
Oh what a dffrence an "o" makes.
LOL - In more ways than one ...............
Old 03-24-2011, 12:02 PM

I bought some sheets at the thrift store, thinking I could use them for backs. They had tiny holes in them. Now I know why they got rid of them. I've searched both Walmart and Target and can not find single sheets. I used to buy them at Ross, but can't find single sheets there either. Ok my question is -- Who in my area is buying up all the single sheets?? :lol: :lol:
Old 03-24-2011, 12:23 PM

LOL - I don't live anywhere near you, Grammy and I gather all my backings (used sheets) at the local GoodWill and/or SallyAnn's (aka Salvation Army). At $1.50 per King. Who can refuse the bargains?? Shall I save you some?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:37 PM
rb.

Zellers usually has unadvertised, discontinued linens at very good prices. They carry good sheets, too. And believe it or not, Sears is the same. At Sears, they're usually on sale, and then marked down further at the cash register.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Suzi
LOL - I don't live anywhere near you, Grammy and I gather all my backings (used sheets) at the local GoodWill and/or SallyAnn's (aka Salvation Army). At $1.50 per King. Who can refuse the bargains?? Shall I save you some?
We have a new Good Will Store, maybe I can find some there. Thanks for the offer. It might take me a bit to run over to your house and pick them up. :lol: