Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How I organize my genealogy >

How I organize my genealogy

How I organize my genealogy

Old 03-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Banned

Someone on here a while back asked me how I organize my genealogy. I have actually given some talks on this. I took a little bit of this and that from various sources. I do try to follow the KISS principle (Keep It Simple Stoopid).

I do keep a computer database with data and sources, but I haven't bothered to scan every document into it. I want my own copies of documents, so this is how I file the documentation I collect.

Data is kept in 3-ring binders (3-5 inches) and everything is in sheet protectors. I have more than 30 of these binders full of data, and a lot more to file!!

I divide my data by families, and further subdivided along Maternal and Paternal lines, and Direct Line ancestors and Collateral ancestors. For instance, my mother's maiden name is Ball. I have more data on that family than any other. So I have 7 large 3-ring binders full of data. I have enough to give direct-line ancestors their own binder.

Gr-gr-gr-grandfather Bernard & Gr-gr-grandfather Ferdinand Ball both have their own binders. Gr-grandpa Martin & Grandpa Virgil are in the same binder, because I don't have that much yet. (Photo 1) Wive's data are filed with their husband. Unmarried children are kept with the father. Married children are filed in "Collateral" or indirect line binders. I have enough collateral documentation I have had to divide the binders according to family members with the last name of Ball (Photo 2), and family members with other names (Photo 3). These fill up at least 4 more binders.

On my father's side, I am able to keep the collateral lines in only two binders. (Photo #5)

Each family starts with a family group sheet. I have deliberately printed these on colored paper so that they are readily visible in each binder. (Photo 4) If I have two or more families in one binder, I just look for the colored pages. I have a lot of documentation in my computer, and every now and then will print out a Family Group Sheet with updated data. I also use a documentation checklist, that tells me at a glance what data I have on each family, and what is missing. I am including a scan of that sheet.

As I come across data that needs to be filed, I put it in a special file folder and periodically will go through and file things away. (Photo 9)

I keep state and place data in separate binders. It comes in handy to see how county boundaries evolved. A document may exist in a county that you never thought of. (Photo 10).

The final photo reminds us all of the major rules of genealogy!!!

Filled out documentation checklist
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174040[/ATTACH]

Direct line Ancestors
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174099[/ATTACH]

Collateral relatives with the last name Ball
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174100[/ATTACH]

Collateral Ball relatives with other last names
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174101[/ATTACH]

Colored Family Group sheets make it easy to find a specific family
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174102[/ATTACH]

Paternal Collaterals fit in two binders
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174103[/ATTACH]

All Direct lines for this family fit in one bider
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174104[/ATTACH]

Documentation checklist (blank)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174105[/ATTACH]

Documents to be filed
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174107[/ATTACH]

Place documentation
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174108[/ATTACH]

The major rules of Genealogy
[ATTACH=CONFIG]174109[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-174034.jpe   attachment-174093.jpe   attachment-174094.jpe   attachment-174095.jpe   attachment-174096.jpe  

attachment-174097.jpe   attachment-174098.jpe   attachment-174099.jpe   attachment-174101.jpe   attachment-174102.jpe  

attachment-174103.jpe  
Old 03-23-2011, 09:45 PM

I have been researching for 17 years, only about 4 years ago did I come up with same idea as yours. Except I did not add the family work sheet. I do add pictures, marriage any thing and everything pertaining to that one person... I also break down per family. wow makes it so much easier doesn't it.. love it. I was a mess before. had boxes of double and triples, before I found a system then worked. Thank you for sharing. :)
Old 03-23-2011, 09:51 PM

have you ever used a website like www.geni.com ? it really can make all your hard work accessible to other family members
Old 03-23-2011, 10:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rabs
have you ever used a website like www.geni.com ? it really can make all your hard work accessible to other family members
I am happy to share my documentation, but I don't want it just out there. I prefer to share with gedcoms that have me listed as a source (that can't be removed). There are too many people that, hmm, how to put this delicately, well, they think that if they find it online or on Ancestry it is "documented". But that is not true. And I certainly don't want to see my data in a database that claims to go back to Adam. (In case you are unaware, it is NOT possible to document a line back that far).
Old 03-24-2011, 04:03 AM
Power Poster

What wonderful documentation organization! Thanks for sharing. My maternal grandmother traced her family back to England. On a trip there, I even stood in the graveyard where the ancestors are buried. We arrived in America on a wooden ship named Arbella and have a picture of the ship. My grandmother has passed, and I believe my mother has the documentation. I just have a chart giving all the ancestors' names.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
What wonderful documentation organization! Thanks for sharing. My maternal grandmother traced her family back to England. On a trip there, I even stood in the graveyard where the ancestors are buried. We arrived in America on a wooden ship named Arbella and have a picture of the ship. My grandmother has passed, and I believe my mother has the documentation. I just have a chart giving all the ancestors' names.
Isn't it such a special feeling!!?? I don't have a photo of the ship they came on, but I do have a photo of the Ball immigrant ancestors, taken just before they died in the 1860's. He was born in 1797!! And I've traveled to the ancestral village in France and found distant cousins. It is SO cool!!!
Old 03-24-2011, 06:52 AM

I just recently got into genealogy.....thank you for GREAT advice on filing!!! So far, I have a drawer full of files and it's frustrating to look for documentation.

BTW - I just found out there is a DeBord family cemetary in Ellijay, Georgia.....and guess where I happened to already have plans to be in May!!! yip - I'm going to Ellijay and now I'm doing some research there! YAY!
Old 03-24-2011, 08:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by amandasgramma
I just recently got into genealogy.....thank you for GREAT advice on filing!!! So far, I have a drawer full of files and it's frustrating to look for documentation.

BTW - I just found out there is a DeBord family cemetary in Ellijay, Georgia.....and guess where I happened to already have plans to be in May!!! yip - I'm going to Ellijay and now I'm doing some research there! YAY!
Good luck and have fun!! I think it's so much fun going on research trips. And my mom laughs that I can't pass an old cemetery without stopping. Don't forget to spend time at the county courthouse. Land and probate records are EXCELLENT sources, in addition to the vital statistics.

It was a dear friend of mine who taught me how to do correct, documented genealogy. (To this day I say to her face -laughingly- "Damn You Virginia"!) I went with her somewhere and she took a couple of her binders to share with a distant cousin. I sat looking at her stuff, and that inspired me to go home and organize MY stuff into a binder. A very SMALL binder. I remember looking at that one pitiful binder compared to her 20 or so large ones and feeling glum because she had so much more than I. Now we are about equal, and we tease each other all the time!! But it's also nice to have a friend who appreciates the work that goes into finding a particular piece of information.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:41 AM

It IS nice, GaiGai....I have a best friend that's into it, and she got me started. Others in the family can't figure it out! LOL
Old 03-24-2011, 08:46 AM

My brother is doing our family ancestry. According to him it is lucky we don't have three arms and two heads. That is ALL I want to know about my family!! LOL.