using oxygen questions

Old 03-27-2011, 04:41 AM

I have just been put on 24-7 oxygen and would appreciate any help you can give. I have 50 feet of tubing I'm attached to, which I'm trying to figure out some way to roll to have it so it isn't always in the way. I'm thinking of using velcro somehow . If any of you have had to deal with this, do you have any suggestion? I am also trying to figure out how I'm going to use the portable tank, which is a large one, because my daughter is in a wheelchair when we are out. The tank is too tall to fit in the bag on the wheelchair. This is all new to me so I really could use some help. Thank you for any help. Blessings to all. Kathryn
Old 03-27-2011, 04:44 AM

Talk to your doc. There is a contraption that actually condenses the oxygen in the air into a portable thingy you wear. I'll do some checking, in the meanwhile someone here will have another answer. Nurses?

Here's the one my aunt had:

http://www.airsep.com/medical/freestyle.html
Old 03-27-2011, 04:45 AM

ask the home health care provider who brings in the replacement tanks....they should be able to give you some good suggestions.

the most important rule with oxygen in the home/car/business is:

NO SMOKING NO SMOKING NO SMOKING NO SMOKING

Jodi
Old 03-27-2011, 04:50 AM

there is a tank holder that you can get for wheelchairs- you would just need to stay near your daughter when you are out and about- ask the vendor where your oxygen supplies come from. It attaches to the back of the wheelchair. Also, if this is a permanent thing, talk to the vendor about getting a smaller portable set up- I don't know if that will work for you, but they do have some that are as small as a large purse with a shoulder strap.
As for the 50 feet of tubing- do you always carry the tank around with you when you walk? if so, ask the vendor for shorter tubing. If not, use velcro cable tamers to gather up some of the loose coils of tubing. Good luck and get better :-)
Old 03-27-2011, 04:52 AM

Kathryn, There is a smaller portable tank . Last winter I had to be on oxygen for about 6 weeks, and I had a tank cylinder that was about 18 inches that was carried over the shoulder, but later I was suppose to get a smaller one that I would refill at home , it was flatter , looked more like a plastic box. I ended up not needing it, so can't give you as lot of details, I just know it would have been a lot easier to take when going out.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:18 AM

Not sure but but I think there is a carrier on wheels that may help - You would have to be very coordinated though to push wheel chair and roll oxygen at same time!! I did this for my mom though. she was the one in wheel chair and on the oxygen. I just held the handle of oxygen and wheelchair with one hand. The portable pack seems like the best idea if it will hold enough for your trips with daughter. Take care and I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:18 AM

My MIL has been on Oxygen 24/7 for the last 10 years. She has enough tubing to reach from her second story window to the outdoor pool! (She still loves to swim--head ABOVE water)

She keeps her tubing fairly long. She uses the cord ties for appliances/electronics to tie up the extra length.

She also uses a wooden wine rack to store her extra/empty cannisters.
HTH.
Old 03-27-2011, 06:13 AM

Thank you so much for the replies. The 50 foot tubing is attached to the large compressor or whatever it is called. That is what I use in the house. The tank ones will only be when I go out. I would sure like the small one but everyone knows how tight money is, so I'll have to make do with what I have. I will be talking with some people and see if someone comes up with an idea about making something to hold the tank to the wheelchair. I'm just running so many things through my mind it's getting more cluttered than usual. I really appreciate everyone replying to this. It helps just to know you replied. Blessings to all. Kathryn
Old 03-27-2011, 08:14 AM

There used to be 2 kinds of portable oxygen. One is regular like you use and the other is liquid. The liquid you can refill at home. My mom got freaked by the liquid, because the big tank boiled dry and it upset her so she went back to the concentrator (what you are calling a compressor). You ought to be able to talk to your oxygen provider and get more info. If you go from one system to the other, I don't think there should be much cost, but it's been 20 years since mom was on it. There are tank stands to mount on wheelchairs and again your supplier ought to be able to get one for you, but that would be for the tall tanks or there are the separate wheeled stands, but I think it would be too hard to juggle it was for us. If you can get the smaller ones you can just hang it off the wheelchair handles or make a soft cloth bag to hang over the handles (between them). Good luck with what ever you decide, let us know how it goes.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:18 PM
Power Poster

My late DH was a service connected disabled veteran. VA supplied us with the concentrator for the home and portable tanks for outings. Then we went to the liquid oxygen for going to the hospital and on outings. It was much better because the liquid would last all day and the tanks would have to be changed before we got home. It was a 2 1/2 hour drive to the hospital for his appointments. They also have portable concentrators that have a battery pack and are nice because you don't have to fill them and they are smaller(These are advertised on tv and they can be quite expensive). I do think the liquid is more expensive than the tanks(we had a large tank that we filled the portable from), but I don't know for sure because VA supplied them for us. Your suppliers will be able to help you. The wheel chair that we had could hold a tank, and I know the wheel chairs at the hospital also had a place that held tanks. If your hospital has a social services office sometimes they can help you get what you need without it costing you an arm and a leg. This is the way we were able to get a power chair for him. Good luck and Blessings to you and your daughter.