Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Craft uses for oxygen tubing

Craft uses for oxygen tubing

Fortunately, after a long recovery from an auto accident, my husband is no longer on oxygen. The medical supply company picking up the supplies would not take the many yards of new, still-packaged vinyl tubing. I usually think of some "gotta keep it" use for everything but don't have any ideas for this and can't bear to throw it away. Ideas?

Donate it to a nursing home. I'm sure they could use it.
    Leslie

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I also had extra tubing from having had a blood clot and low oxygen levels. I called a nursing home and they would not take it either. Of course this was unused tubing not what I used. Gave it to my husband and he put it into the 2 year box.
    Quote Originally Posted by LJDay View Post
    Donate it to a nursing home. I'm sure they could use it.

Blog Entries
    rules against using it, even if people say unused. I have tons of it. I tried to return a wheel chair cushion one Nurse made me get, along with the chair. returned the chair fine but they wouldn't take the cushion. used they said. he sat on it for two minutes or less and hated it. sigh. I'd already purchased one cushion he liked better but would not use online. sigh. men and nurses! medicare made me pay for that second cushion!!
    anyway i'd love to hear of ideas if anyone has any............

Power Poster
    I use the bigger plastic tubing to make the thread keepers for my bobbins. I don't know how much grip it has but it might do in a pinch for a treadle belt. How about drip irrigation for the garden? There must be some craft uses but I can't think of anything.

Blog Entries
    Found these ideas online:
    http://www.recyclethis.co.uk/2012032...plastic-tubing
    http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf414103.tip.html
    http://scrapreusedandrecycledartproj...en-tubing.html
    https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...0011417AAFuMAb

I can see children making silly straws out of them, decorating the outside with stickers, but they would probably be one-use straws since they'd be impossible to sanitize.

Blog Entries
    maybe sell it on ebay for fish tanks.
    No medical place wants it b/c it's considered used.
    Good reason to buy a fish tank
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

I use it for "dump bags" for military hospitals. Like this http://www.thecitizen.com/articles/0...g-recuperation

Cover it in fabric, add a nozzle and sell it for a garden hose! Make millions on unsuspecting buyers...ha ha ha

How about cutting them into small pieces, then a slot in and use as bobbin buddies? At least that's what I would try.

Blog Entries
    Donate it to the senior center medical loan closet,use it to tie up tomato plants,use it to hang banners for advertising
    Life may not be the party we planned for,but while we are here we should dance!

Could you wrap the tubing in strips of fabric and coil it into table mats or baskets? I've seen that done using cording.
    Lori

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pocoellie View Post
    How about cutting them into small pieces, then a slot in and use as bobbin buddies? At least that's what I would try.
    This is what I do with small tubing and I love it.
    Kindness is a language which the deaf can hear and the blind see.
    mark Twain

This may or may not work but could it be used as piping covered with fabric around larger items like big tote bags etc.? Also could it be used in a casing for those thread scrap holders you put by your sewing machine ....used to hold the little scrap holder open?? Just a couple of thoughts.

Blog Entries
    I was thinking along these lines also!
    Also good for stiffening a seam. I could see it being useful in the garden too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggramma View Post
    Could you wrap the tubing in strips of fabric and coil it into table mats or baskets? I've seen that done using cording.
    Fortune favours the prepared mind
    "Make everything as simple as possible, but not simpler." Albert Einstein

Cut your tubes to 1/4 to 1/2 in slice down one side wrap around your bobbins. Works great for me.

I cut little pieces off and use on the ends of sharp scissors, seam rippers, stiletto, etc. I seem to always lose the caps for these.
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

Great Idea...we can send them to the local VA hospital and they would probably be handy for nursing homes too.

Can you cover it with fabric and coil it to make bowls and baskets?

Most Veterinarian clinics will take medical supplies donations
    Cindy

We had a lot of medical supplies once and Hospice took them

I used the tubing to replace the worn-out leather belt on an old treadle sewing machine. Cut to exact size I wanted then glued in a short piece of dowel to the inside of the ends to hold them together. This worked great! .
    Mary

When my mother passed in the state of WA, we had so many left over medications, bed pads, wheel chairs (2), walkers (3), and I am not sure what else. But the hospice group told us they couldn't take it but there were 2 groups that take them for third world countries. They were so thrilled. One group took all the medication and the other group took the equipment. The lady that came for the equipment said they have a local store and it went to people that couldn't afford such items. They couldn't sell it, but people in need could have it. We were so thrilled to know it would be used and not trashed. The DME is so expensive.

I think it is some kind of Joint Commission rule to avoid any kind of compromised product reaching other patients. It sounds like people have found lots of uses for tubing.

While those types of items cannot be used in the USA, they can be donated to overseas medical missions, and are gladly welcomed, especially when in the unopened packaging. Often local hospitals gather their old out-dated supplies and send them to overseas missions, or churches may support missions. There are areas that will accept the donations, it may just take a little investigation on your part.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast