Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Fabric Prices Going Up....Again >

Fabric Prices Going Up....Again

Fabric Prices Going Up....Again

Old 04-05-2011, 07:40 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pieceful Quilter
What's really sad is a friend told me when she visited one of her favorite shops recently, she saw older fabric that had been on the shelf for a while, with a new higher price. Seems the shop owner adjusted the prices of all her fabrics upwards to match the pricier new stuff. My friend was so mad she walked out without making a single purchase!
yep, it is WRONG, but they do it to help offset the NEW prices...that and by leveling the playing the field they might actually sell some of the new stuff, VS selling only the old stock and the NEW just sits...
Old 04-05-2011, 07:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by susiequilt
It will be real interesting to see if we have a bumper crop of cotton this year, will the prices come down to last years rate or only come down a little if at all!!!
cotton is a commodity and traded as such...quilt fabric is the last man on the totem pole when it comes to products being made from cotton...medical comes first, then house insulations, then clothing, then other textiles, THEN leisure goods!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:43 AM

Also, Connecting Threads sells a fine quality cotton for $6 a yard. I bought some. Very nice. I don't work for them, just a consumer.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lori S
Originally Posted by ThreadHead
I will NOT pay 12.00 a yard for any cotton material.
I have a 50% off coupon at JoAnn's but the sale starts on the 10th of april.
It's going to have to be really something special for me to spend 6.00 for a yard of material.
I used to work at a store selling material. They had little machine where you slid the material in,( you always got an extra inch) and pulled it to the amount of material the customer wanted, 2 yd, 3 yd. Then pushed a button and it would clip it, take it out and rip it. It cost anywhere from 10 to 29 cents a yard.lol I guess that dates me.
Syl
I loved those machines! I thought they were so neat! To bad when the whole double knits era began they were taken out, since often the fabric got stretched.
I own one...and know of stores that brought them back....
Old 04-05-2011, 07:50 AM

Don't know if any of you are near a Walmart but our local one had 500 price cuts in their fabric department Monday- April 4. It's time to change out the seasonal stuff again.
Seems I as one of the last around here to know about it- the dept was swamped and the cuting line long- so unlike normal
Old 04-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by writerwomen
Don't know if any of you are near a Walmart but our local one had 500 price cuts in their fabric department Monday- April 4. It's time to change out the seasonal stuff again.
Seems I as one of the last around here to know about it- the dept was swamped and the cuting line long- so unlike normal
yep, ebay is flooded with walmart fabric right now,..as are most of the quilting forums/groups...only people are buying it at $2yd and selling it for $6.00!
Old 04-05-2011, 07:56 AM

I remeber the yard counting machines- there were advantages and disavantages- they often were not straight on the grain when they tore leaving you with 3 yrds at the snip and 2 3/4 at the bottom of the tear. If a thread in the fabric didn't tear right it left a run in the fabric. Rather cut it by hand. Always verify whatr the person behind the counter is measuring to be sure I don't end up paying for more then I got.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:00 AM

Don't you just love the way JoAnn's cut their fab? After you size it up, you lose at least 1/2" of fab.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:02 AM

The historical data for cotton price is below:

US cents per Pound
Mar-2010","85.79
Feb-2011","213.18

The raw price of cotton has increased 250 percent in one year.
Just wanted to put a data fact to the issue at hand.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by laynak
Alaska Sunshine, Great photo of your stash! Where did you obtain all the cardboard bolt frames to be so organized (or whatever you call those things)?
: )
I sent you a PM :-D