Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Log Cabin quilt ruined >

Log Cabin quilt ruined

Log Cabin quilt ruined

Old 04-06-2011, 06:07 AM

I am going to take out some stitching I added to a small table topper last evening. Hopefully, you can start to take out the unwanted quilting stitches on your log cabin top and fall back in love with your first quilt. Please don't let this unfortunate episode discourage you! :)

Suggestions on this board are great: a good movie; being with a friend; setting a weekly goal. Before you know it, you'll be past the rescue stage and firmly on the road to bliss. This is only a detour, not the edge of a cliff...

Sew piecefully,
Kay Susan
Old 04-06-2011, 06:17 AM

I have ripped out the quilting on three quilts this year - for a friend who was learning to quilt and had some "wonkies." It isn't awful to do. Just relax and do it realizing that it takes a while. Meditative. Listen to a book or sit and chat while you do it.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:19 AM

I can send you a case of kleenex. :mrgreen:
Sorry, that just popped into my head.
I don't have any experience with machine quilting so this probably wouldn't work but could you snip stitches on either side of the puckers for an inch or so and then restitch easing in the fabric to remove the puckers. I've done that when sewing but don't know if it would work on a quilt.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:25 AM

I agree with this BUT... If a LA Quilter saw this was the case there is no excuse for that person not to contact the quilter tell her of the situation and let them know before hand what the results are likely to be so they can make an informed decision as to go on or not.
Originally Posted by SewinSue
Please don't take offense at what I am about to say since I don't know you or you me, but ---I know a lady who just got a quilt back from the quilter with lots of puckers in it and she carried on and on about the quilter who is a very talented lady and who has done several of my quilts. I insisted she measure the completed quilt and she found that one side was several inches larger than the other side and the length on one side to the other was way off. The quilter had to put some puckers in it to get it to quilt at all. I know a good long arm quilter can work some extra fabric in but this one was way too off to do much with. So in a nut shell I am saying measure the two sides and the two ends and make sure they are reasonably close. If they aren't that could be the problem. Even experienced quilters don't always have the exact same measurements on thier quilts. Please forgive me if this is too rude, I just want you to be aware of the possibility. Sue
Old 04-06-2011, 06:39 AM

I'm so sorry that the result you got back was so undesirable. Echoing what the others said, rip out.

But whether to say something to the quilter- I think I would! Not to hurt her feelings, but to let her know that what may be acceptable for her own quilts aren't acceptable for a quilt that goes out of her house, and to let her know she needs to practice some more. She may think that she has more skills than she does, or maybe she doesn't care about quality and needs to know that other people do! I would say something to her about the fact that you are ripping it all out because it is unacceptable.

To me, it sounds like she didn't put it on the frame right- as others said- it was crooked, or she didn't have side tension right.

Best of wishes and let us know how it all turns out!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:55 AM

If I lived closer, I'd be happy to help you do the frog - ripit, ripit. What a shame.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:08 AM

awww so sorry. I'm the queen of busy work. satisfies me, somehow. Since I'm 30 min from OK border, I mapquested us. LOL! 230 miles. Sorry. I'd say send it to me & I'll do it, but you don't know me. Plus, you can get your "grieving" done while you rip. Glad your sis will help.

Can you just undo sections & hand quilt as you go? (Not that I know all that much about it.)
Old 04-06-2011, 07:16 AM

I would call my relative to let her know the quilt came in the mail. I'd tell her I noticed alot of puckering in the quilt. Tell her that you don't like puckers on your quilts. And never let someone quilt for you unless you have seen their work. Rip out the stitches and maybe stitch in the ditch or hand quilt it yourself.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:18 AM

I would rip out the stitches. You don't want to cry every time you look at your quilt. I am so sorry this happened.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:33 AM

By all means, keep pictures of the mistakes. You probably have no choice other than to pick out all the stitching. Politely tell her that you're just not ready to send her more quilts.