Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Tutorials
hanging sleeve >

hanging sleeve

hanging sleeve

Old 01-07-2009, 06:14 AM

Thanks for this! I've read through different (others) hanging sleeve directions and I always seemed to get lost, yours are great! Thanks!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:59 AM

Thanks, I have no idea how I would have gotten it done without your tute. Being the slow sewing I am it took me 6 hours to hand sew the thing on though, :( It looks great and hides wonderfully anyway.

I think in the future I'll try to plan a border wide enough that I can just sew it onto the backing material with the sewing machine. :oops: :oops:
Old 01-20-2009, 12:52 PM

dose it have to be that wide of width or can you all make it smaller in width,i make one about 6 inches in width sew it togather so it,s not that width it,s a bit smaller than a twin do you think that ok to use before i start sewing it on, the resson i maked it shorter in width is because it,s left over scrap from same backing
Old 05-23-2009, 09:23 PM

Another way to approach this is to hem your ends the way your've got it but to attach the hanging sleeve to the quilt at the same time you're sewing on your top binding. That way you only have the sides and bottom of the sleeve to attach, 3 sides, instead of 4 to do by hand. I am not fond of hand sewing so I try to do as much by machine as possible.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

Wonderful tutorial :D :D :D
Old 09-25-2009, 09:51 PM

Great tute. That is how I do mine too. The only difference is that I sew my sleeve into the binding and then I only have to hand stitch the sides and bottom.

I sew the binding to the top. Then I pin the sleeve on and go over the seam again sewing the sleeve in place. When I turn the binding to hand sew it to the back, the sleeve is in place. (Does that make sense?) I hope so.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:32 AM

Loretta,

I'm not sure if I can make this picture clear enough because I use the same fabric for my sleeve as I do for the backing. Make your sleeve as per the tutorial but leave the long seam open. Now, before you put in your top binding on your quilt, align the raw edge for your sleeve with the top of your quilt & pin. Machine stitch your binding on the front of your quilt, catching the quilt AND the raw edge of your sleeve. When you go to hand stitch the binding, you will also have a finished edge on your sleeve. This way you only have one long side to stitch down. PM me if you want more instruction. I'd be happy to take more pictures.

The red ruler is there to show where the sleeve is.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]49048[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-49048.jpe  
Old 09-26-2009, 10:07 AM

Thank you AnnaK. That is what I was trying to say. I think you said it better and with a picture.
Originally Posted by AnnaK
Loretta,

I'm not sure if I can make this picture clear enough because I use the same fabric for my sleeve as I do for the backing. Make your sleeve as per the tutorial but leave the long seam open. Now, before you put in your top binding on your quilt, align the raw edge for your sleeve with the top of your quilt & pin. Machine stitch your binding on the front of your quilt, catching the quilt AND the raw edge of your sleeve. When you go to hand stitch the binding, you will also have a finished edge on your sleeve. This way you only have one long side to stitch down. PM me if you want more instruction. I'd be happy to take more pictures.
:D :D :D :D
Old 12-28-2009, 09:49 AM

First your directions are great. I don't hand sew if I can help it. Arthritis makes it hard to hold a needle.

I create the tube just like you do.

I attach the top of the sleeve when I stitch the binding on. My bindings are stitched to the back frist and then stitched down on the front so I can see what I'm catching. Then I use my blind stitch foot and fold back the quilt and just catch the quilt backing to stitch the lower edge of the hanging sleeve. I don't sew the ends of the tube to the backing at all.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:03 PM

Thank you - for some reason this has always confused me. Other directions I've read never made as much sense.