Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 06-04-2012, 12:36 PM

I have a FW made in 1946 which so happens to be my birth year so I just had to have her. In very good shape, included the case, & lots of accessories. Had researched & was told that they ranged anywhere from $300. & up & I paid $300so I felt I got a good deal. The best thing was that I got it off eBay here in Canada & that doesn't happen very often so of course, I saved on the shipping, exchange etc.

Last edited by callen; 06-04-2012 at 12:36 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 06-04-2012, 10:16 PM

Congratulations Callen on your 1946 featherweight. It is close to one of mine in age. I got a 1945 FW that was allotted on Sept. 19, 1945, just a few days after my birth. Isn't it neat having a machine from the year of your birth? I think so. I bought mine from a member here on the board last fall. Sew-classic here in the US has bobbins and things for your machine, if they ship to Canada.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:37 AM

I have two....a black one that I inherited from a quilting buddy when she passed and a cream colored one I bought about 20 years ago. Both are used on a fairly regular basis. One travels with us in the RV whenever we leave home. The other one travels when we go by car. I try to rotate them so they get equal usuage. I spent 5 days in Phoenix in May at my son's house and got half of a flannel quilt made for my mother. my cream one spent four years at college when my youngest daughter left home for school. It came back just fine. I bought my daughter a used bernina 10 years ago and last week she posted on facebook that she was happy I had taught her to sew. She saved about $300 on alterations on her two daughters costumes for their dance programs. Some times it takes awhile to understand the importance in learning some basic sewing skills.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:20 AM

I've been looking for a FW card table and don't like the prices I'm seeing. Can someone post pics of how the machine fits into the table? I believe my SIL can make one if he has a pattern.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:47 AM

Something like this would be way easier, especially since there isn't a free arm to work around with a fw. Unless you want it folding of course, then this wouldn't work for you.
http://blog.bluedinosaurs.com/2011/0...ing-table.html
Old 06-06-2012, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by ArizonaKAT View Post
I've been looking for a FW card table and don't like the prices I'm seeing. Can someone post pics of how the machine fits into the table? I believe my SIL can make one if he has a pattern.
There are pictures of my FW in the table here: http://www.quiltingboard.com/vintage...t-t187896.html You can see at the handwheel end in the second picture that there's a metal piece where the cords go down through it. What you can't see is that underneath there are two crosspieces that the machine sits on. The machine fits kind of tight into the metal-it's more or less clamped/clipped in.

Still, the FW is light enough that reverse engineering a usable table is certainly doable. After all, it only has to support 11 pounds, not 40!
Old 06-10-2012, 03:29 PM

Here is a FeatherWeight Card Table I picked up today with a machine. I am so excited to clean them both up! :-)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]341230[/ATTACH]
Front Folded Up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]341231[/ATTACH]
Her Under Side
[ATTACH=CONFIG]341232[/ATTACH]
Close Up Of The Brackets
[ATTACH=CONFIG]341233[/ATTACH]
Set Up With Insert In
[ATTACH=CONFIG]341234[/ATTACH]
Ready To Sew!
Attached Thumbnails img_4403.jpg   img_4406.jpg   img_4407.jpg   img_4408.jpg   img_4413.jpg  

Old 06-10-2012, 03:38 PM

I got mine a month or so ago. My grand daughter (age 8) is learning to sew using it. She is doing a grand job and has pieced her first fabric to make X's and O's baby quilt.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by k9dancer View Post
I thought Harleys rumble rather than purr.
They kind of say lapa lapa. I had one. Sold it before I got hurt.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:58 AM

I have two featherweights (both un-named) my friend Pat found the first one at a flea market in Alabama about twenty years ago. It the "Green"one. My quilting friend Donna past away about 10 years ago and her husband gave me her black one. They travel with me by car or by RV. I trade them back and forth so there is no jealousy. Sometimes when I go to a retreat, I take both of them. My green one went to college with my younger daughter. I thought I would never get it back.