Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:39 AM

Order the number 66 bobbins from http://www.sew-classic.com/ The Singer ones from Walmart and Joann's don't work in the vintage Singer 99's. I tried them, and then ordered them from sew classic.
Janis
Old 03-28-2012, 02:17 PM

I have two....and can't stop looking for more! It's a sickness of some sort.
SitkaQuilter
Old 04-01-2012, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
Jeanne, here is where you can download a manual for your Singer 99

http://www.sew-classic.com/uploads/99K.pdf Janis
Thank you Janis. I have a Singer 99. She came all by herself so a manual will be helpful.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:22 PM

I have two black featherweights, both bought on CL but from different states.
One was born June 1 1950 and the other January 23rd 1950, One is marked as a centenneal but not the other.
Strange!!! I have all the attachments, original manuals and are in great condition.
I took my centennial to my quilting guild meeting and she will go with me to quilt camp in a couple of weeks.
I love them both and love how they purr
I also have a 99K which also works great. I bought the parts I needed for her from sew-classic.com
Old 04-02-2012, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by jcrow View Post
What is a "featherweight" exactly? What constitutes a "featherweight"? Is it a treadle? Or a Singer? Does it have to be a certain size or age? This all looks and sounds so fascinating. I just bought an old sewing machine here on this board and am awaiting her arrival. It's a Singer 99K. It looks great and she says it runs. Doesn't have extra bobbins though. I think I get the machine with the one bobbin and the case only. Need to find more bobbins though. Don't know if I need any extras or if there are any extras. I've never bought a used machine before but this was a good price for me. So, is mine a featherweight?
Sorry but no she is not but she is termed a 3/4 size machine. I have a 99K and love her just as much as my featherweights. The 99K was made in Clydebank Scotland, the Kilbowie the site of the factory.
I hope you enjoy her too.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:49 PM

When you are attending a quilt workshop, a straight stitch is all you need and the Featherweight is all you need. We have many workshops and bees where we get together to put together a quilt top, and 5 out of 9 ladies bring a featherweight! No other machine makes as beautiful a stitch, is small, runs smoothly and is easy to maintain. What more could you want???
Old 05-13-2012, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Michellesews View Post
When you are attending a quilt workshop, a straight stitch is all you need and the Featherweight is all you need. We have many workshops and bees where we get together to put together a quilt top, and 5 out of 9 ladies bring a featherweight! No other machine makes as beautiful a stitch, is small, runs smoothly and is easy to maintain. What more could you want???
You missed 'quiet'-it's usually the first thing anyone comments on. If you've got several people with FWs, you can actually have a conversation while you're sewing. Some of the newer high-dollar machines are *loud* in comparison.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:34 PM

update! I got my little girl going and she is GREAT! my DGD loves her. Now I am looking for her one.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:01 PM

FINALLY! I oiled up my 1947 FW so I could take photos of her and post her on this club. I have named her Chula, after my Grandma Chula. You can read a little more about her here http://www.quiltingboard.com/newrepl...4258&noquote=1

She is my favorite machine to piece with. My DGS and DGD have been sewing on it since they were 3 and 4 when we visit them.
Attached Thumbnails 1947-002.jpg  
Old 05-18-2012, 06:42 AM

Hi I just won a featherweight on e-bay can't to get her being trying to get one for years !