Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 12-12-2011, 01:19 PM

Check ISMACS. http://www.ismacs.net/singer_sewing_...-database.html

Let us know when she was born.
Old 12-12-2011, 03:35 PM

Thanks, I did not buy it and cancelled the transaction....even when the seller changed the letter P to an F I was not comfortable with the purchase...also the electric cord was permanantly mounted into the machine (?) which sounded like a home job that might be botched and the foot peddle (when I took a closer look) had a crack going at an angle across it. I landed a better one today! It is a 1946 (year I was born-oops, getting older) model. I really agonized over this purchase as one never knows when buying on e bay. One thing, the previous seller had a no return policy...I would have been stuck if the machine was not what he wrote.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:25 PM

I'm so happy for all of you getting your new little machines now. Aren't they just so much fun to sew on?!!? Sewing on mine me feel like a kid again.
Sweetpea46, your 1946 is one of the first made after WW2. From what I found on the net, the first ones after the war were allotted on Sept. 19, 1945, which is right after I was born. I was lucky to buy my 1945 featherweight from a member of this board. It was just one of 20,000 made that year. I do have a friend who has one made in 1941, but her serial number is listed under another model number in the numbering system according to what I've read on the net. I'm thinking that some might have been made during the war, but were not allotted numbers at the time under their model numbers. Does anyone else know anything about this?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:41 PM

I called Singer and they told me the date of the machine by the serial number....February 18th, 1946...I was born in September. I can't believe how great it is to sew with...the only thing is every now and then a stitch comes out longer than the rest? Would you know why this happens....
Old 12-29-2011, 07:37 AM

Just got a 221Singer for my birthday from ebay. Paid 140.00 for it and it is in good shape and only needed minor adjustments. So may I join your growing group?
Old 12-29-2011, 07:59 AM

A huge welcome aboard and you are just going to luv this thread as well as others in here..but 'caution' it is addictive..have fun and give a shout out if any questions one of us will always be quick with helping info..Enjoy!
Originally Posted by Sewflower View Post
Just got a 221Singer for my birthday from ebay. Paid 140.00 for it and it is in good shape and only needed minor adjustments. So may I join your growing group?
Old 12-29-2011, 03:04 PM

Has anyone here gotten the dvd info from Featheweight RX on caring for your featherweight? I am considering getting it, and am looking for opinions of those who have used it. One of our fws needs some care.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt Mom View Post
Has anyone here gotten the dvd info from Featheweight RX on caring for your featherweight? I am considering getting it, and am looking for opinions of those who have used it. One of our fws needs some care.
Yes, I have the DVD and love it - I use it a lot. It makes it so easy to understand how to care for my FW. I am considering purchasing the book also.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:02 PM

I do have a friend who has one made in 1941, but her serial number is listed under another model number in the numbering system according to what I've read on the net. I'm thinking that some might have been made during the war, but were not allotted numbers at the time under their model numbers. Does anyone else know anything about this?[/QUOTE]

One of my featherweights (a white one) is listed under another model. I belong to the Yahoo Vintage Singers Group and posted a message there concerning this and was told that a lot of machines were recorded under other models. I contacted Singer and they gave me the correct info for my machine, but would not tell me why they had it listed this way.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by jillaine View Post
CanadaKate, Get them to take that label off!!! That's sacrilege!
I agree! If you leave it there too long, it might cause damage if you decide to remove it. I hate these kind of labels and they ruin the finish on sewing machines. Another thing that bothers me is when someone places a strip of fabric around the machine and uses it as a pin cushion...this really causes damage.