Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 12-30-2011, 08:54 PM

Yes I have a 221-1 from my mother-in-law. It is in very good shape. I like it, may need to get a new cord.
When working on bags for christmas shoe boxes, I pluged into a outlet behind my machine & cord cross over,
(I was last one there ) only plug left- in order people didn't trip on cord, put it cross machine. Therefore, it
has a 2 nicks in cord from rubbing. Need to learn to clean it also, it cost 98. when I had it cleaned.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by littlesurfer View Post
I do have a friend who has one made in 1941, but her serial number is listed under another model number in the numbering system according to what I've read on the net. I'm thinking that some might have been made during the war, but were not allotted numbers at the time under their model numbers. Does anyone else know anything about this?
One of my featherweights (a white one) is listed under another model. I belong to the Yahoo Vintage Singers Group and posted a message there concerning this and was told that a lot of machines were recorded under other models. I contacted Singer and they gave me the correct info for my machine, but would not tell me why they had it listed this way.[/QUOTE]

It's too bad that they can't tell us why some machines were listed under the models of other machines. But then you have to think of the technology of the times too. These vintage machines were made to be used and no one at the time ever thought that later others would want to look up the serial numbers on them so many years later. I'm thinking that the numbers were allotted and when they ran out of one machine and still had numbers left, they just used them on the next machines that they wanted to make. They didn't know that we'd have computers and want to see when our vintage machines were 'born', and all of that. And to name them too as if they were persons, that would have been unthinkable at that time too. They'd think we were 'off our rockers' to name our machines, but mine are more than 'just old Singer sewing machines' and have been around as long or longer than I have and deserve to be thought of as special, as they are.
I paid for an old Singer a little before Christmas at a flea market just to get the attachments. I got of all things, a Singer Pinker that attaches to the machine, and pinks material to the left of the machine. It is just so neat to try 'actually play' with. I even had my grandchildren running the foot petal, first with their hands and then their feet to make it pink scraps of material. I held the material and they were away from the needle and the other things that could hurt them. And the girls that were running the foot petal were 3 and 5 years of age. Boy! can they run the machine fast when they use their feet on the foot petal!
I have some attachments that I haven't even tried out yet, even some duplicates of some of them. I need to see what I can do with them. Now I want to get a black button hole attachment for my machine.
Old 12-30-2011, 09:36 PM

sherian, Is there exposed metal where the cord is nicked? You could put some electrical tape over the nicks. There are postings on the Vintage site that have instructions on how to do the cleaning of your machines. Some have bought books on the Singer 221, and also your instruction book should show how to oil it and clean it. These machines were made to be taken care of at home rather than to have to go to a shop for the cleaning and oiling. You should oil it regularly if you use it very much.
I did all of my Christmas sewing on my featherweight, and enjoyed every minute of it. It's like having a toy sewing machine, but better!
Old 12-31-2011, 03:52 AM

i just bought one few weeks ago, a 221, do you really have to oil it every where the manual says?
Old 12-31-2011, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by dojo36 View Post
i just bought one few weeks ago, a 221, do you really have to oil it every where the manual says?
You should follow the directions and oil everywhere indicated...this will insure your featherweight will operate smoothly. It really only takes a few minutes to do this. Enjoy your new featherweight!
Old 12-31-2011, 10:10 AM

Someone looking for a second machine or a machine that needs just a bit of work.
http://annapolis.craigslist.org/atq/2716206957.html
Old 01-01-2012, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Janis View Post
sherian, Is there exposed metal where the cord is nicked? You could put some electrical tape over the nicks. There are postings on the Vintage site that have instructions on how to do the cleaning of your machines. Some have bought books on the Singer 221, and also your instruction book should show how to oil it and clean it. These machines were made to be taken care of at home rather than to have to go to a shop for the cleaning and oiling. You should oil it regularly if you use it very much.
I did all of my Christmas sewing on my featherweight, and enjoyed every minute of it. It's like having a toy sewing machine, but better!
Thanks good information, I am glad to hear it.
Old 01-01-2012, 01:31 PM

I finally decided to name my 221-1 FW - Viola, my mother in law - she gave it to me.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:23 PM

I like the name you gave your machine. That sounds like a fun name for a featherweight machine. I hope you have many happy times sewing with her. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:43 AM

I have two. One is a black 1946. Model. She was given to me as I've mentioned elsewhere on the board. The other we bought a few weeks ago for €10. About $15??? A friend found it in a junk sale they only wanted €10, she rang me and described 'the tiniest singer you ever saw'. I told her to GRAB it, she did and its in very clean condition, although the thread broke when I tried it, need to sit down and play with her properly!! I've never sewed with the other one either. But I WILL one day!!!