Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why go to a quilt store??? >

Why go to a quilt store???

Why go to a quilt store???

Old 05-25-2011, 06:49 PM

I go to our quilt shop for several reasons...quality, customer service, expertise and just plain the experience of being surrounded by that fabric and people who love what I love.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:10 PM

Many reasons to support local quilt shop. The main on is that if we do not they will close. Then we will have no choice but to use the chain store fabrics which for the most part are of lesser quality. The owner's knowledge is shared with us, she knows what we are talking about. The shop I go to is extremely friendly whether you buy or just come to chat. If you want something they do not have they will offer to order it for you.
Another big part is they support our guild.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:25 PM

I live in a small town and we have a wonderful quilt shoppe that has been here for almost 8 years. The fabric is of excellent quality and it is pricey -- but we try to buy there in order to keep her in business and part of our town. I shop other places also, but want to help support our local shoppe.
Old 05-25-2011, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by passionpiecer
I live in a small town and we have a wonderful quilt shoppe that has been here for almost 8 years. The fabric is of excellent quality and it is pricey -- but we try to buy there in order to keep her in business and part of our town. I shop other places also, but want to help support our local shoppe.
That's what is great about America. Small businesses owned by local people. I hope they continue to suceed.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:20 PM

I like the LQS because I love to touch the fabric before I buy it. I can also usually find the entire line of any new design in a LQS and very rarely can I do that on line. I think Joann's is pricing themselves out of business with the increases they have made in price. The fabric is no where near LQS qaulity, and most of it, unless it's on sale, is almost as high. This is just my opinion.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:52 PM

I had a sewing machine my husband brought five years ago still in the box that I did not know how to use. I went to the LQS in my area and they referred me to a guild that taught me how to sew and the basics of quilting. I didn't have to pay anyone and I've made lifelong friends. Any problems I had with my first few quilts got solved at the LQS. They critiqued my quilts, gave me helpful suggestions and overall supported me in everything I did. I felt so good going home on leave and being greeted like an old friend when I walked through the door. The experiences I have going to my LQS is priceless and for as long as they are in business they will get my business so that is why I go to a quilt store.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by judyyoungs
I like the LQS because I love to touch the fabric before I buy it. I can also usually find the entire line of any new design in a LQS and very rarely can I do that on line. I think Joann's is pricing themselves out of business with the increases they have made in price. The fabric is no where near LQS qaulity, and most of it, unless it's on sale, is almost as high. This is just my opinion.
Do you touch clothes in stores too? I always touch first then look at how it's put together then the the price tag. Sewers are better clothing shoppers.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:11 AM
Power Poster

I buy a lot of my fabric on line. Easier for me than shopping.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:15 AM

one of our lqs's has a bargain closet at great prices and great help. another lqs has great prices all the time. also shop Joann's.
Old 05-26-2011, 06:21 AM

I hate putting in my time and talent on cheap fabric plus quilt shops will help if you need it, Mine even lets me use their big table to layout my quilt for sandwiching, etc. They have sales all the time and know their products. I asked a girl at JoAnee if she could figure my borders for yardage and she looked at me like I had two heads. She didnt even sew. We also have Sit and Sew twice a month and the knowledge I get at these meetings is unbelievable. Many talented people, all different projects, very inspiring, plus there is always someone there to help if you need it.