Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why go to a quilt store??? >

Why go to a quilt store???

Why go to a quilt store???

Old 05-25-2011, 06:04 AM

Because they have a better quality than you can find at the chains. They normally have time and expertise to help you,and very often classes and demos to inspire you. WalMart and Joanns sales associates might not even sew! And, you don't always have to buy the cheapest thing you can find. There is certainly a reason to purchase from both places, but I'd HATE to see the good quality fabrics go away if that's what I choose to buy. Just as a lot of people like a choice in cars, there should be a choice in fabrics!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:43 AM

I shop Joann's because I use 40% and 50% off coupons for nearly everything I buy there. That unfortunatly is my financial status. I love to sew!!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:55 AM

Yes, the LQS most of the time have very expensive fabric, but they do have marked down fabrics. Sometimes the atmosphere in the LQS is not friendly as I am on a limited budget and can't go in and pay $130 for a few yards of fabric and the staff knows that. The owner is not like that, but is often not there or possibly not there taking care of business. Hobby Lobby has Kona fabric on sale all the time and it's very nice fabric. They also carry some nice material which is usually on sale for 30% off all the time. Haven't been to JoAnn's much as we do not have one in our town. Hancock's has nice fabric and often 40% off coupons or fantastic sales. You have to go where you can get the most for your money without purchasing inferior quality fabric.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:00 AM

I did get some nice fabric at Hobby Lobby even though I don't go there that much. It's almost always 30% off. They just don't have that much.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

For me it's one word - quality. I can find some fabric at JoAnns of good quality and very few at Walmart. I don't want to put my time into something that I don't trust to withstand washing and normal use.
Old 05-25-2011, 09:25 AM

LQS have better quality that alot of Joann's or walmart fabric. Joann's is carring a line of more expensive fabric but it is reasonable with the coupons. Joann's have a nice variety of colors and prints in fact better than I can find in most LQS around here. I shop both LQS and Joann's. Also Joann's have a really good selection of quilting notions that are much cheaper with coupons than LQS. also I think that WM has gone down hill on their variety of products such as shoes, clothes, tablecloths. This their poor variety has made me go to other stores to find more variety. It may be the same for their fabric!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:16 PM

Better quality, bigger selection, lots of ideas, patterns, special notions, meet others with same interest. And it's just more fun!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:44 PM

I went to the LQS today for my 6 months visit since I needed some fabrics for a lap quilt and dropped a pretty penny, but this one will not require quilting so it all comes out in the wash. Mostly Joann's with coupons!

The shop owner spent over 20 mins with me selecting and listened to every word I said (on my lunch hour). And then there is a quilt for quilting in progress and I watched the lady do the hand quilting on it - awesome!
Old 05-25-2011, 05:55 PM

My LQS is a home away from home for me. I am more relaxed and feel more creative in the small store atmosphere. I look at the samples for ideas and pick the brains of anyone and everyone there. Love the classes and I attend a club there once a month. They give a discount to club members. I have had very little luck getting anything close to a straight cut piece of fabric at JoAnn's and no longer buy any quilting fabric there. I found the flannels and home dec. Fabrics at Walmart to be of great quality.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:39 PM

Quality of fabric.