Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone ever found a comfortable bra? >

Has anyone ever found a comfortable bra?

Has anyone ever found a comfortable bra?

Old 05-23-2011, 05:15 PM

I've been wearing them for 40 years (OMG am I that old?)and have never found a really comfortable one. Years ago I even went to a special bra store (Rigby and Peller in London, corsetiere to the Queen!) to be fitted. What an experience, I will never forget the saleslady who had a chest like the prow of a battleship who burst into the fitting room and embarrassed me half to death! Even those bras were uncomfortable.

Recently I read about the Bra-lelujah (sp?) and it sounded so great so I splashed out on one, what a disappointment. It is ugliest bra I ever saw - a horrible color like old nylons (in England they called that color "American Tan" - ugh) and the seems are so poorly finished. It gives no support and, worst of all, the back rides up and is so uncomfortable. I was driving and kept having to take one hand off the wheel to yank it back down. There is no way to adjust the fit as it has no fastenings: the instructions that came with it said to step into it, after dragging it over my big hips its no wonder it has no support!

Any ideas, anyone? I can't bear underwires or, worse, those seamless molded cups that look like styrofoam coffee cups.

[I just realised that I have revealed more than anyone wants to know!]
Old 05-23-2011, 05:19 PM

If only I had the boobs to put in a bra! *sigh* If I were any more flat chested, I'd be a boy!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:19 PM

I'm right there with you sister, can't find one that is comfortable or fits right either and i hate underwires.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:23 PM
tmw

i too can't find one that fits right, most times we wear the wrong band size, and thats why they ride up in the back, i'm short and dont have much room between my breasts and stomach so the bottom of the band hurts there too, i was shopping this past week, and now she says they are doing away with white bras, because everybody wants nude, [my husband thinks nude is ugly, his words]. and price doesn't really matter either, except when you have a large cup, like me, and all different company's have different sizing. so, you are not alone in this!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:25 PM

I live in Missouri (not near the tornado) & watch QVC shopping
channel on tv. They sell Breezies bras, panties & shape wear.
Don't know if you can get that channel or go to their
site on line. There is a store at Mall of America.
But, I really like their bras for comfort & support.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:26 PM

Comfortable------bra?
Just like...oil & water!!
they just dont go together!
At least not in the 40 something years I have tortured my body with them! (Minus the 3 or 4 years in the late 60's - early 70's when I was "liberated"! :):):)
Old 05-23-2011, 05:31 PM

Maidenform Back Smoothing is very comfortable. I get mine at Kohls. Price is around $30 a piece. I try to get them when they are on sale. Soft and comfortable. Has a wire but I think its plastic, when I first looked at it I thought it was wireless. Wire is all I ever wear. I need the support. The sides have never cut into me and the straps are little bit wider than most others. Softest fabric I've ever seen in a bra.
Old 05-23-2011, 05:38 PM

I hate bras & no, they never fit!
Old 05-23-2011, 05:44 PM

I had serious issues for decades finding a bra that was comfortable. I could forget wearinging anything from Victorias Secret , as they only are useful as decoration. I can not tell you all the money spent in hoping each time I had found the right one. Finally one day I took a chance at Kohls on an Olga bra ( on sale ) . The tag that got my attention was one that said "most comfotable bra"... I thought what the heck I have nothng to loose in trying one more since nothing I had was satisifactory. I had a drawer full of failed trials.... It was LIFE Changing!!!! I will tell you it is underwire ... no molded cups....but I will tesify that underwire has never ever felt this good and now I hoard this bra ... as I fear someday it could become discontinued. It is soo comfortable and gives THE best support of any bra I have ever worn. One feature is the straps actually adjust to were I need them to be , since I am short( or they only make bras for taller people) .They wear well too , just don't put in the dryer. Give it a shot .. I have been were are.. wondering will I ever .. ever find the one!

ANd OH .. I did realize I was wearing the wrong size , I needed a bigger cup and smaller band size , that really soved the riding up issue!
http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/inti...estsellers/PRD~123628/Olgas+Signature+Support+FullFigure+Underwire+Bra++ 35040.jsp

They do have it in the stores in more sizes , but the Olga style number is 35040
Old 05-23-2011, 05:57 PM

I really like Bali bras. Better yet, their service is impeccable!
I had a small rash develop under the metal pieces that hold the straps to the bra. It must have been some type of an allergic reaction to the metal. Anyway, I called Bali about it. I had just bought 3 of the same bra and wore each of them.
They asked if I had found a different style without the metal that I liked. I had, and they sent me three replacement bras (normally $30 each). I was very satisfied.