Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Joplin tornado relief from a volunteer >

Joplin tornado relief from a volunteer

Joplin tornado relief from a volunteer

Old 05-27-2011, 04:21 PM

I volunteer at the local food bank in my area which serves 28 counties in Missouri. Joplin is in our area and several of the food pantries in that area were either destroyed or badly damaged. Monday was a typical day, a few donations came in. But come Tuesday, chaos ensued and we were so busy that we barely stayed caught up with the donations. Ozarks Food Harvest send a large mobile food pantry truck to sit on a corner for donations with the thought process that it might get filled up by the end of the day. That truck was filled up 7 times on Tuesday, 9 times on Wednesday. People would drive by and drop off cases of water, hand money to us, go into Dillion's to shop and bring entire grocery carts full of paper products, diapers, water, juices, snack foods and then still hand you a check for $100. I had a woman hand me 5 brand new Blackberry phones to give to people along with several $100 bills.

Then the semis started showing up with the necessities, paper products, ready to eat meals, sleeping bags, clothes, you just can't imagine watching the semis all parked end to end, patiently waiting on their turn to be unloaded. Other food banks have sent trained workers to help out and also loaned us a couple more jacks and forklifts to use. A couple of warehouses have been located much closer to Joplin to store all the items that have came in for them.

I love where I live at and know that people are generous and giving. But what I have witnessed during this week has been so overwhelming that I tear up thinking about the kindness of neighbors in spirit. I have been over there all day till 6p at night each day but today. I will be fixing sloppy joes for all of us to eat on Monday, yes we know it is a holiday, and yes, as a volunteeer I don't have to work, but anyone who knows me knows that I cannot stay at home while this is going on. Tragedy and destruction isn't taking a holiday either so I won't.
By the way, I took the day off so that I could run around and pick up handmade blankets and quilts for our chapter of Project Linus to get them delivered to Joplin.

Please pray for everyone that has been touched by the storms this spring everywhere. The ones who haven't been hurt or had damage to your home, thank God everynight that you have a roof over your head and that your family is safe.

It is truly a pleasure to live in the Ozarks.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:28 PM

Your post had chills running up my arms! Our neighbors are just wonderful and it is sooo nice to see people helping people rather than those in need sitting waiting on a government handout. The same thing happened when Katrina hit the MS Coast (which is actually where the eye hit). Just everyday ordinary people showing up to help and give whatever was needed. Mississippi people who were affected by the flooding were out helping each other, too!

God Bless all those affected by the tornado!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:34 PM

WTG Diane - 14 of those quilts she picked up today were from me. THANKS DIANE for meeting both Nancy and i today.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:38 PM
Power Poster

As I set at my computer in a nice airconditioned home all is well in my world........I really appreciate you updating us on the suffering of others. Thank you for being where you are and doing what you can. Each one of us needs to examine our hearts and see what we can give back. Next time it might be me and mine.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:38 PM

WOW--thanks so much for taking the time to share that story with us. You are amazing!
Old 05-27-2011, 04:43 PM
Banned

Thanks for sharing this with us and more importantly, thank you for volunteering.
We keep all those who have been touched by the tornadoes in our prayers as well as all those helping out now.
God Bless.
Old 05-27-2011, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Fabaddict
WTG Diane - 14 of those quilts she picked up today were from me. THANKS DIANE for meeting both Nancy and i today.
And Fabaddict and Nancy are my best Project LInus people, we had lunch together, at Ye Old English Inn. It was the most soothing and comforting thing I have done all week. I almost felt selfish about taking a break, then I got caught in a super bad storm on the way home. I almost felt sorry for all those people clogging 65S on their way to Branson. Almost.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:13 PM
Power Poster

That is so wonderful how people come together when tradegy strikes. I pray for all those people who have lost lives and their homes. I have been in one tornado so I know how it is.Everyone who has a safe roof over their head should be thankful. I pray there will be no more bad storms this year.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:42 PM

Thank you so much for all that you do and for sharing with us the good things that people are doing for eachother!
Old 05-27-2011, 05:52 PM

Thank you for the story, your volunteering and all those who have given of themselves and anything else. My dh and I are both over 70 and not in good health so we can't volunteer for anything. Also we are on a limited income so that lets out $$.My dh just got out of the hosp after a 2-1/2 week stay. All I have to offer is prayer and lots of it. I know God hears every one of them. Thank you so, so much. patti