Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
new/stupid question (: >

new/stupid question (:

new/stupid question (:

Old 06-03-2011, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by Nike
before i set myself up for failure.... is quilting very hard? just wondering
The sewing part of quilting will eventually be easy, but practice, practice, practice and those straight seams and exact seam measurements will come second nature to you...most of the time.
What helped me:
A quarter inch seam foot for my sewing machine was a good investment, but not necessary if you can set up your own guide to sew a 1/4 inch seam.
Sitting up straight and high enough to see what I was doing as I sewed.
Using an inexpensive measurement guide. It's a few dollars, made of aluminum and I keep it next to the machine to check the seam allowances once in a while.
I always stand up when rotary cutting so I can get a good bird's eye view of what I'm cutting. I'm short, so standing while measuring and cutting is best and gives me the best leverage.
Organizing my pieces as I cut.
Snipping loose threads as I go along. I have a small plastic dish on my table where I put threads and teeny fabric pieces to toss out later.
These are just a few of the things that helped me with the sewing part of quilting.
Have fun and enjoy. If you get stuck, this board is your guardian angel :thumbup: :thumbup:
Blessings,
Angela
Old 06-03-2011, 03:29 AM

as infants we all learn to crawl before walking same with quilts make a simple then on to more complicated ones but no matter what have fun enjoy life and do things you love
Old 06-03-2011, 03:29 AM

as infants we all learn to crawl before walking same with quilts make a simple then on to more complicated ones but no matter what have fun enjoy life and do things you love
Old 06-03-2011, 03:34 AM

Don't defeat your self before you start. Anyone can do any thing that they want to do. It starts with an I can attitude over, an I cant. You odviously would like to as youve joined the board. There is so much help and encouragement here. See if there is someone who lives close to you or a guild etc.. Start small and remember nothing is perfect, Any mistakes etc. make it one of a kind unique. We all started at the beginning. And no question is stupid, except the ones we never ask. Good luck, Look in the mirror and say I can do this. And start cutting. DEB
Old 06-03-2011, 03:35 AM

Originally Posted by Nike
before i set myself up for failure.... is quilting very hard? just wondering
Is riding a bike hard? Is driving a car hard? Is sailing a boat hard? I could go on and on. You will never know till you try. And it can be as difficult as you choose to make it. Start off with something easy and work your way up to harder things. Look for patterns that have a difficulty level and look for the beginner ones. You need to build confidence in your abilities.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:38 AM

Welcome. Anyone can quilt. Justpick an easier, small (potholder, placemat, wall hanging) for your first project. This is a great place to get any questions you may have answered. Just be forewaned, quilting is very addective.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:41 AM

Hey, wait a minute...you have to sew a straight line to quilt???
I pull my seams out sometimes and think...."if I could only sew a straight line, then..." but I still quilt anyway! :)
Old 06-03-2011, 03:45 AM

Think positive...you can do anything that you really want to do! It's fun!
Old 06-03-2011, 03:47 AM

All these answers are good... take a class, start small and keep it simple.

Of course I did none of these things. I bought a book (for idiots), after working through the blocks in the book found others on the internet and eventually ended up making a king sized quilt. Even doing my own quilting.

My advice, "just do it". If a block doesn't work out, it can just be a pillow to go with your quilt. I waited for years before I started, using all kinds of excuses such as not enough time or space. Now I see all the fun I have missed.

So good luck and hope you that enjoy it as much as I do.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:48 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
Can you sew a straight line?

Can you follow directions?

Only way to know is to try.....
Sometimes I sew a straight line, sometimes I don't.
I absolutely cannot follow directions
But I quilt anyway and have a lot of fun along the way.
Despite my "shortcomings" in this regard, the recipients of my quilts love them and usually end up hanging them on the wall instead of using them as quilts.
If you love fabric -- just do it!