Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
If only they would have stood... >

If only they would have stood...

If only they would have stood...

Old 07-01-2011, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by AUQuilter
I am truly sorry about the loss of your daughter. I would like to say that her service is not forgotten and your sacrifice is not either. You will be kept in our prayers. As far as not standing for the Pledge of Allegiance, shame on them. Without the sacrifices made by our military and their families, they have the freedom to attend the movie of their choice. I think that we as Americans just don't appreciate just how good we have it. Many people leave their homelands and families just to come here- we are the land of opportunity. Don't squander it.

I echo your words from the mountains to the priaries to the oceans white with foam. God Bless America, your daughter for her service and your loss. Standing for the Pledge of Allegiance is not an option, where ever it's repeated, people stand , men remove their hats and children are silent. What's happened to respecting the land of the free and the home of the brave. I guess they have to print it on the movie screen, PLEASE STAND FOR THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE!
Old 07-01-2011, 11:00 AM

I cried when I read your post...I too lost my son while he was serving in Iraq...and it breaks my heart everytime when I am at a sports event or parade and no respect is shown while are flags and National Athemn is being played..it makes me want to scream too...on Memorial day as I was coming home from teh cementary I couldn't help but wonder..where are everyones flags...after 9/11 every house had one flying...they all seem to be long forgotten...I just pray we don't have to have another event such as that to be reminded of what a cost is paid for our freedom..everyday you and I and so many others are reminded when we have to face another day without our child or our spouses...I am so sorry you had to go through that at the movies...a movie full and children and no one thought to tell their child to stand up and respect their country...blessings to you and your family
Old 07-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Rose_P
I probably would have stood with you, but I think people react differently when they are looking at something on a screen. Even you probably wouldn't stand if it was on TV, and for many people, the screen provides a similar kind of "unreality" to the experience. I don't think they meant any disrespect.

So sorry for your terrible loss.
This is exactly why people get away with being disrespectful. Everyone want to give them the benefit of the doubt and find excuses for why many 'don't mean to'. No one calls them out anymore for their actions.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:03 PM

Where is the patriotism shown after 9/11? People actually stood for the anthem, pledge and God Bless America. How soon we forget. I am so sorry to hear about your daughter. I would have stood right beside you. Our thoughts and prayers. Freedom isn't free. Thank you.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:24 PM

Thank you to everyone for your kindness. Perhaps had we been standing in the middle instead of at the back, it would have made a difference.
To those who lost, my heart goes out to you as only you know our pain. To those whose loved ones served and survived, GOD BLESS YOU AND THANK YOU
We patriotic adults must be the example for others.
Tommie
Old 07-01-2011, 01:58 PM

I recently saw a picture of a 4th of July Parade and the only on standing with his hat off was a veteran standing in front of his wheel chair and he was saluting the flag. Go figure! Same on those others attending! :thumbdown: Jan
Old 07-01-2011, 02:01 PM

I have heard it announced " Please stand if you are able and remove your hats, while we say the Pledge of Allegiance and sing our nations anthem. Jan
Old 07-01-2011, 02:13 PM

I was in Bermuda one time at a museum and they had a movie about Bermuda's relationsip with the US thru Revolutionary and civil wars. At end there was the flag with the national anthem playing. I stood up as there were more than 5 people in the room. My Canadian friend stood with me but other friends with me, Americans, did not stand but later told me how impressed with me that I stood. I told them they broke a rule by not standing but forgave them since they did not want to be embarassed. Other people (strangers) also complimented me for my stand.
Take care.
Linda
Old 07-01-2011, 02:15 PM

I forgot to tell you how much I appreciate your daughter's service to our country.
Take care.
Linda
Old 07-01-2011, 02:20 PM

I too am appalled that this could happen and that they still didn"t stand after you did! I too thank you and the others on the board who have sacrificed for our country.