Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Criss-Cross Quilting Pattern >

Criss-Cross Quilting Pattern

Criss-Cross Quilting Pattern

Old 07-01-2011, 12:24 PM

That is absolutely marvelous, congrats, don't dare give it away.....
Old 07-01-2011, 12:26 PM

Oops, disregard this one....
Old 07-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Power Poster

Very pretty and bright. Great job.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
Thanks Circle Square.

Yowza! That's quite an investment for each pattern if you have to buy 3 boards. I assume that it's a lot easier for the LA-er than a paper pantograph for that price.

As for the pattern, as QuiltE said above, there are only 3 larger blocks that make up the quilt.

One is made up of 4 HST blocks, and the other 2 configurations are made up of smaller 4 patch blocks (although the method of construction can vary). You can see them highlighted below.

It's all in the layout.

And the excellent value work the maker of the quilt did in choosing her brights. They work together as one, but provide all kinds of pattern and texture interest throughout the entire quilt. Just because white is used as the contrast doesn't mean that any other fabric can just be used randomly. Well, it can. But the result wouldn't be nearly as impressive.
MTS - Thank you for the diagram. Very helpful. As far as using other fabrics randomly with white as the contrast (as in the large variety of scraps that I have) - not necessarily so that it won't be nearly as impressive. But I guess everyone will have to wait to see when I finish it.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:37 PM

LOVE it!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
MTS - Thank you for the diagram. Very helpful. As far as using other fabrics randomly with white as the contrast (as in the large variety of scraps that I have) - not necessarily so that it won't be nearly as impressive. But I guess everyone will have to wait to see when I finish it.
I've seen similar patterns done where they used an assortment of whites, creams, ivories. They were just as stunning.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:52 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MTS
I toss scraps so that wouldn't work for me. Yeah, I know. Blasphemous. Add it to my list. :mrgreen:

Although I would probably strip piece the 16 patch blocks instead of making a bunch of 4 patches and joining them.

Lazy and blasphemous. What a combo. ;-)
I'll joing you in the lazy and blasphemous circle ... I can't be bothered with the leaders/enders for anything to keep. I just keep some pieces there, stick it in and usually don't pay attention as it sews while I'm starting to move my "real" sewing out of the way!
Old 07-01-2011, 12:57 PM
Power Poster

That is a cool overall quilting pattern. It enhanced the top but didn't take away any attention from the top
Old 07-01-2011, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by MTS
I toss scraps so that wouldn't work for me. Yeah, I know. Blasphemous. Add it to my list. :mrgreen:

Although I would probably strip piece the 16 patch blocks instead of making a bunch of 4 patches and joining them.

Lazy and blasphemous. What a combo. ;-)
I'll joing you in the lazy and blasphemous circle ... I can't be bothered with the leaders/enders for anything to keep. I just keep some pieces there, stick it in and usually don't pay attention as it sews while I'm starting to move my "real" sewing out of the way!
LOL - I have 2 boxes of scraps - only because my precious Mom saved them with the intention of making quilts for us from them. All she ever made were scrappy quilts. Unfortunately she died before getting our quilts made. So I inherited the boxes, took a class a couple of years ago to learn how to quilt, & am planning on starting on them this summer. I do believe that these 3 quilts from her scraps will be the only scrappy quilts I ever make. I like order & color coordination too much to ever make scrappy my norm.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:00 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by QuiltnCowgirl
I've seen similar patterns done where they used an assortment of whites, creams, ivories. They were just as stunning.
Yes, and the ivories and creams were all relatively the same value.

All I was suggesting upthread was that if you take a bunch of scraps - lights, mediums and dark - and randomly use them in this pattern, it would lose something, and wouldn't be as visually cohesive as the one pictured.

She used a really eclectic mix of fabrics, but kept the value pretty tightly controlled. I LOVE seeing quilts like that - seemingly scrappy but underneath you can tell the maker really put a lot of thought into it.

I remember seeing a quilt at Sister's a few years ago - a log cabin done in whites and ...creams and ivories. It was stunning. STUNNING. I went out and bought a ton of fabrics in that colorway because I thought I'd make a similar one. Still on my to-do list. :roll: