Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread storage..... what is your recommendation? >

Thread storage..... what is your recommendation?

Thread storage..... what is your recommendation?

Old 07-14-2011, 09:28 AM

I just love this cart for my embroidery threads. I found it at a local Sam's club for only $29.00. They also carry these at office supply stores, but they are more expensive. I sorted the color shades into those small white trays and it makes it so nice to just pull out either the whole drawer or a tray and everything stays in order.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-226329.jpe  
Old 07-14-2011, 09:29 AM

I just love this cart for my embroidery threads. I found it at a local Sam's club for only $29.00. They also carry these at office supply stores, but they are more expensive. I sorted the color shades into those small white trays and it makes it so nice to just pull out either the whole drawer or a tray and everything stays in order.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:34 AM

I have a similar one, the drawers are colored, but looks the same....from Costco many years ago...I like the idea of the plastic bins inside...
Old 07-14-2011, 09:45 AM

I have clear plastic boxes with posts that are made to hold spools of thread. The boxes accomodate 30 spools or small cones up to 2 1/2 inches high. I originally bought the boxes to store my embroidery thread in because like you, I wanted to keep the thread clean and dust free, but now I also use the boxes for my quilting thread.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:56 AM

I order all my thread and it comes in boxes four spools to a box. I write the color on the outside of the box and store the boxes in plastic bins.My embroidery thread I order by the box and when it arrives I put the skeins in the embroidery boxes from C&C which has little trays in it. Each tray holds a box of embroidery thread.I put little labels on the outside of the trays to show me which color is in each tray.I also use DMC embroidery thread and they are stored in envelopes with the color number written on the right hand side and stored in a three drawer plastic container that is stored under my cutting table. All threads are stored where the sun or light does not get to it.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
I've seen people using the plastic cases for the little Hot Wheels types of toy cars.

You might need to take your spools with you to make sure that they will fit in the little compartments.
That's what I use! you can fit 1-3 spools per slot (60 slots per box) depending on the size of the spool. I would recommend getting a bag of those really large rubberbands and putting it around the box. That way when I drop it, they don't go flying around everywhere!

I have about 20 of them! You do the math ... I'm afraid to think about it.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:19 PM

I have rolling cabinets with drawers that I cut pegboard to fit and glued pieces of dowel rod into every other hole to hold my thread spools, including the tall Isacord embroidery spools. For my serger cones, I use file drawers filled with those cardboard six pack carriers that beer bottles come in (I can fit 4 carriers to a file drawer, that's 24 cones per drawer).
Attached Thumbnails attachment-226418.jpe   attachment-226419.jpe  
Old 07-14-2011, 12:24 PM

I like to keep mine behind closed doors, want to keep it "fresh"
Old 07-14-2011, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Pollyv9
I use an old jewelry box that I bought at a garage sale some years ago. It works really well for thread. I put some labels on the front so I could find the colors easily.
What a 'jewel' of a storage container. I must say, you give new meaning to a stash of threads!!! :-)
Old 07-14-2011, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Now that's my kind of six-pack!