Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to purchase new machine, now or later? >

When to purchase new machine, now or later?

When to purchase new machine, now or later?

Old 07-18-2011, 08:02 AM

So after everyone was so kind, to offer suggestions about machines, this next week I will be heading out to test my 3 favorites. Now here is the million dollar question.

Christmas in July is happening now. All the retail sewing machine stores are having great sales. Although some are only having this event for the last 3 days of the month!

However, in Oct there is a show in Tucson that I plan to attend with my best friend. We are driving down there and staying at a local hotel for 2days of the show. We are both really excited. But I hear that you can get some really great deals on machines there as well. However, Tucson is 2 hrs away, so I would not be able to get classes, or any other benefits probably from purchasing in that area. But the savings might make the difference.

Which do you think I will come across the best deals?

Either way, I don't have enough to purchase full price, and at the shops here I can at least put what ever I decide on, on layaway. Not sure if I can do that at the shows, but if they have them knocked down enough who knows.

I am not very good at this haggling thing either, perhaps you could give me some tips!!

Thank you all in advance!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:05 AM

I don't know what your budget or current finalists are, but Bernina has a new line coming out and Pfaff and Janome both have new TOL machines coming out in the fall.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:11 AM

I feel that waiting until you can pay in full is the best way to go. Now that doesn't mean paying full price though. Do your research and write it down. Go into a local shop and tell them you want to purchase XYZ machine. They will want to get a trade-in and possibly other discounts will be thrown in. But if you have the cash and you can control the date you buy, you are in a good position. If it is an expensive machine and you can live with last year's model, then look at those. Lessons should be included in all their machine sales- that is good business. Haggling is not bad- if you don't research and don't do a little haggling (I call it price dancing) then you will pay too much.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:16 AM

When I wanted a new Viking last year, I found an internet site that had the machine almost $500 cheaper than my Viking dealer, I told them about it and they checked out the site, sent a request to Viking and got an OK to sell me one for the same price. I saved a lot of money plus I got the free classes from the dealer. It's worth doing a little shopping on line.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:18 AM

With the newer more sophisticated machines, I would go for the places near you where you can get assistance when needed & as well as servicing. I don't buy anything that has not been discounted. I would find out when the new models will be coming out. That's when I would think you would get good discounts on the models being replaced. I avoid the latest models till they get the bugs out as all new equipment seems to have.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:31 AM

You won't be able to put a machine at a show on layaway. If you purchase a show floor model or classroom model you will get a really good price. AND since you are buying from an authorized dealer you can get the classes at your local authorized dealer.

Also consider that with the "big three" coming out with new models - there are two avenues to consider - 1. older, discontinued models are going to be marked way down; 2. people who have to have the latest and greatest are going to trade in models that probably have more features than you were looking for at very good prices.

Really, the best time to buy is when you have saved up enough cash and don't pay layaway charges or interest fees!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 AM
Power Poster

It doesn't matter when you buy a new machine. There will always be a better deal or a newer model later on. Find one that has the price you want to pay, buy it and enjoy!
Old 07-18-2011, 10:39 AM
Power Poster

I would also ask your dealers if they have any trade-ins available. At my viking dealer, the trade-ins have been cleaned and tuned and hava a warranty. Lessons are available. Oh, and the price is also pretty good.
Old 07-18-2011, 01:33 PM

Ditto good price on floor model at show.