Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
help on lighting please >

help on lighting please

help on lighting please

Old 07-20-2011, 03:08 PM

Am working on finishing our bonus room into a sewing room. Is it best to mount flourescent lights above the sewing area or use a movable Ott- type light?
Old 07-20-2011, 03:17 PM
Power Poster

I like being able to pinpoint my light to exactly where I need it. I would almost go for both if you have that option. Or maybe put the florescents over your cutting station and keep the ott light for the sewing area.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Power Poster

My lights are not directly overhead. They are placed to the front of where each of my stations are so the shadow will be behind me.

This is really good over my cutting table 'cause the light doesn't reflect off the rulers and no shadow from me over my fabric.

I do use a spot light on my sewing machine, pointed at the working part of the machine.

I also mix the type of F-tubes so there is a wide spectrum of light. No "OTT Lights for me, We don't live in Ott Light so choosing fabric under them actually distorts the finished look after you remove them from under this light.
Good luck finishing your room and post pitures for us to enjoy.
peace :D
Old 07-20-2011, 03:23 PM

I have both. I have overhead flouresant but there are still some shadows so I use table mounted to "back light " the area. It makes me crazy to have shadows where I am working.
When I had my basement finished I had lots of lighting put in. I know the electrician thought I was nuts. He called me to look at the fixtures he had mounted temporarily and lit them up. I am sure he was expecting me to say" Oh no.... thats too much". When I saw it "I said thats exactly what I want , brighter than daylight". I do have them on different switches so not all have to be on , but when I need it .. its brighter than daylight.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Power Poster

I do love my Ott lamps because at night they are the only lights that are bright enough for me. I don't use them to choose fabrics.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:33 PM

I have both too. I started out with just the ott lights & they were just not enough overall light. I do like them over my machines & cutting area, but as I said, I needed more than just them.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:14 PM

If they are an option, you might want to look at track lighting. I personally prefer halogen lighting to flourescent or incandesent. I think it is a 'cleaner' light. I have a decorative one that I use for all of my hand sewing. I'm going to be very sad when it bites the dust. Right now I only have decorative incandenscent lamps in my sewing room. Not ready to remove the last bit of plaster/lathe in the ceiling - way too much dirt/dust. But if/when we do - I'm for halogen track lighting. Only downside for me is the heat they generate. But it's worth the light.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:19 PM

I have a regular center light in the room with 2 lightbulbs; I have a floor standing Ott light that I use when I'm piecing or at the machine; My machine has 2 lights; I have a mounted florescent light over my cutting area-only turned on when I need it; I have a mounted florescent high on the wall that used to have my design wall- and in the evenings I turn it on and it helps brighten things up & helps when I need to delve into my fabric closet. My motto... you can never have too many lights or assessable electrical outlets!
Old 07-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Power Poster

I want to clear up the subject of Ott lights. I only mention the idea of the "true color" they show in the stores where they are sold. That is how they are advertised. I really don't mine them as regular lights , just not for choosing fabrics, which is the sales pitch given to us. There is really nothing wrong with them as regular lighting lamps. I don't want to be critical of and apologize if I sounded that way.
peace :D
Old 07-21-2011, 06:54 PM

Just saw a newsletter from Cotton Club today that has a really neat light set that goes on your machine up under the "belly". Only place I have seen them. Check it out.

Here is the link:

http://cottonclub.com/cgi-bin/Store/...es=0&lastmenu=