Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without? >

Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without?

Sewing Room - What CAN'T you live without?

Old 07-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Kas

Michael, what are you going to do with that beautiful tongue & groove pine on your walls? Have you already gotten rid of it? I wish I was closer and I would take it off your hands. Anyway, I would go for as much light as possible. And storage space would be a must. I love cabinets so I can keep the light off my fabric. I really need more of those, but my sewing space is in my family room, so not enough room for more cabinets.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by eparys
My first thing would be triple the amount of electric outlets you think you need. Next is storage, storage and more storage. The last thing I would say is a sturdy table top with great light for cutting.
I agree on all of the above. Outlets and more outlets
Old 07-21-2011, 01:36 PM

Oh I'm so excited for you. The main thing that comes to my mind is storage, storage and just to be safe a lil more storage. Instead of cabinets that are low to the floor. Put drawers on the floor, makes it so much easier to to stuff when it just pulls right out. Good Luck and be sure to post pics along the way. :)
Old 07-21-2011, 01:44 PM
Banned

Lots of storage, really good lighting, and a big ironing board. Floor space to layout quilt pieces, or some sort of design board.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:52 PM
Power Poster

Lots of electric outlets. I would love to have a continuous electric strip around the entire room at chair rail height so I could plug anything in, anywhere. There is never a place to plug in a fan in the summer or an extra sewing machine to do some ruffling or a coffee pot or a light box or an extra iron. I could go on and on.

The design wall is very important and I like to keep all my tools, (the few that I use, I am not a gadget collector) out in the open, not shoved in drawers so plenty of wall space to hang stuff and countertops. No cabinets, just selving. When everything has its' own station, things don't have to be moved around to make space.

The last thing I really must have is a wonderful spot for inspiration, like a bulletin board.
Have fun getting your room together and be sure to post as you go!
peace :D

Edit: I really like the idea of a sink. There is one close to my studio, which is next to my laundry room, so I didn't give it a thought! I am so lucky! to have all that I have
peace again! :D
Old 07-21-2011, 02:00 PM

cutting area
pressing table/ironing board
Old 07-21-2011, 02:17 PM

A switch by the door to cut all of the electricity that you want.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:23 PM

A paintbrush! I use it brush my mat after cutting or the tables when lint or dust builds up.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:56 PM

I just added track lighting over my cutting area. Like it alot. I also have a mini fridge. I'm lucky because this is an upstairs bedroom and it has it's own bathroom. We just bought a shop vacuum for only $29.95 after rebate at Menard's to keep in the sewing room exclusively to clean threads and scraps off the carpet. I also have a small electric heater so that in the winter we don't have to heat the whole upstairs too much (no one sleeps up there) so when I sew I just warm my immediate area.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Two Numero Unos .... a permanent large design wall and bright clear daylight lighting!
ditto