Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
No More Quilting Purchases!!! >

No More Quilting Purchases!!!

No More Quilting Purchases!!!

Old 07-26-2011, 07:18 AM

Love those quilt fabrics and with a walk in closet and dresser full, along with large plastic boxes decided enough was enough. I have material to last me 5-10 years, so have "forced" myself to trash those JoAnn flyers, along with hitting the delete key for on-line fabrics, including sales. It is really hard being addicted to these. If you don't look, then you can not be tempted.
IdahoSandy
Old 07-26-2011, 07:22 AM

Yep, serenitybygrace.....I went to a workshop years ago & the question was: is it really a need? a want? or a 'thinkwee!"
Only buy if it's a need.
I 'need' to go back to that rule myself.
Recently, I bought fabric & a pattern as a gift for my BF to go with her new home decor (for a wallhanging). Then, I bought fabric for myself so I could make that wallhanging too. We'll make them together : ). In reality, I'm sure I had the fabric already to make my own.
I could hold a 'remnants sale' from my stash when we plan our next yard sale and invite all my friends!
Old 07-26-2011, 07:23 AM

I too have had to give myself a stern talking to about my fabric and notions addiction! And I want a new sewing machine!
Old 07-26-2011, 07:32 AM

I just have to stay away from Joann fabric unless I'm ready to buy buy buy :D
Then the coupons come in ,have one now that's 20% off total purchase :thumbup:
Old 07-26-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by jean1941
May have do like me on fixed income just stay home and work on what I have and stay out of stores It is hard but we can do it if we stick together and keep telling ourselves that we can do it LOL
Hi Jean1941, I too am on a fixed income. I use the fabric that I have collected over the years from sewing for my 3 daughters. People give me fabric all the time. I don't have to have the best (high dollar stuff) to be a happy quilter. I use what I have and improvise a lot. Thanks to Mom!!! She taught us how to do with very little. Mary
Old 07-26-2011, 07:39 AM

Good girl Idaho Sandy :thumbup:
I did that this past winter, made lots of gifts for the coming year and have my stash down to a controlled 2 rubber made 2X4X4 boxes :D
Old 07-26-2011, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Treasureit
I have made myself a challenge to use up some of my stash before I go buy new stuff. Problem is...I can be sewing for many years before I need to enter a store again...that is no fun!
I think it is a far more CREATIVE challenge to use what you have. My stash has come from garage sales, estate sales, and friends who throw out fabric, and I still have too much. Quit buying to leave for someone else when you die. I try to enjoy and be thankful for what God has blessed me with. It all comes from Him, and we won't carry it with us. (guess I started preaching, didn't I! Sorry.)
Old 07-26-2011, 07:58 AM

Tip for fabric shopping: Wear really uncomfortable shoes that hurt. Less time in quilt shop=less money spent.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by overdew
Originally Posted by Treasureit
I have made myself a challenge to use up some of my stash before I go buy new stuff. Problem is...I can be sewing for many years before I need to enter a store again...that is no fun!
I think it is a far more CREATIVE challenge to use what you have. My stash has come from garage sales, estate sales, and friends who throw out fabric, and I still have too much. Quit buying to leave for someone else when you die. I try to enjoy and be thankful for what God has blessed me with. It all comes from Him, and we won't carry it with us. (guess I started preaching, didn't I! Sorry.)
But you told it like it realy is, why do you think at those estate sales you can get the fabric for almost nothing, no family member quilts/sews. I tell my kids my stash of stuff is their inheritance :thumbup:
Old 07-26-2011, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6
I've been pretty good about staying out of fabric stores or limiting my purchases when I do, but the classified section on this board is putting me to the test and I'm failing miserably...
Me too!