Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help unlearning childhood habit >

Need help unlearning childhood habit

Need help unlearning childhood habit

Old 07-31-2011, 10:36 AM

I always try to complete one project before beginning another. If I had several going at one time, it would drive me nuts. :)
Old 07-31-2011, 10:59 AM

If i have a big project like a queen-sized quilt going, and get bored with it, or just find that I am not really exicted about it, but am dying to do let's say a particular block that I recently saw a quilt made with. I give myself permission to try that block. One block will not hamper the other from being finished, and I get to do something else for a change of pace. Changing my focus helps me keep going without "burn out".
Or I will have a quilt up to the quilting which I do mostly hand quilting, I do allow myself to have the fun of creativity on another project be it just sewing a dress for my DGD, or another quilt project. Even one for myself.
I find that the projects just for me take a backseat to those for someone else, so I always have UFO's for me to do.
But you do not have to change if what you are doing works for you.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:05 AM

Try to break each quilt up into 'sections'...3, or four 'steps. Maybe step one is cutting, step two is piecing, etc...then TELL yourself LOUD & CLEAR.."I finished step one." etc...Maybe this way you can say or feel like you 'finished' something...which you did!! Step 1, step 2, step 3. Then be sure to label your project as such, step 1, step 2....And , best of all...allow yourself to START another project, after completing a step in your present project...if you want!! or go on to step 2..because by then , you probably DID see a must do quilt in your latest magazine!!! Good Luck !!
Old 07-31-2011, 11:09 AM

I do have more than one projects, and it's because I do get bored doing the same thing over and over so I will start something new and go back and fourth. For me it's more fun.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:11 AM

I like to have something to sew (piece), another to cut, another to do some hand work on and another to quilt. That way I don't get bored.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:19 AM

And here I am working toward having one project at a time. Although if I get to the point of hating what I am doing I quit and pass it to someone els. I did that with the OBW. I realized I was just not ever going to finish it didn't really like it. I now have at least 10 UFO's and I have finished a few. I am hoping that by the end of this year I will have them cleaned up.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:21 AM

I always have several different projects going. So when I get bored with one, then I just switch to another one and I eventually get them all done.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:21 AM

I just realized that I have some unfinished projects. Here I thought I had to finish one before I started another. Not all the projects are quilting. Some are knitting. And then there's the projects that are waiting for me to start them. I am 60+ too. Quilting seems to be breaking me of the habit of having to finish one before I start another.
Old 07-31-2011, 11:33 AM

I'm one of those people who has many projects going at once. It's because, sometimes I feel like cutting sometime I feel like quilting, sometimes sewing. So this way I can do what I feel like doing. But if I do get a few things piled up, then I may spend a couple days finishing up what I've done because I already have a list in my head of a million other things I want to do. I do make small quilts so that's helpful. If you are working on something big, just do a little something then go back to the big project. Keeps you fresh. :)
Old 07-31-2011, 11:37 AM

I think all of us have our little "quirks". The thing is, that's what makes us all different and wonderful! Nobody should feel guilty doing something that affects only themselves and isn't harmful to themselves or other people. Bask in the uniqueness of you!!