Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help unlearning childhood habit >

Need help unlearning childhood habit

Need help unlearning childhood habit

Old 07-31-2011, 11:40 AM

I wish I could be the type that starts and finishes something before starting another project. My ADD brain won't allow it. hehehe I too have a couple of UFO's.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:51 PM

I have a couple of projects going, but they are each of a different method. One is needle turn applique, one is applique with a hand sewn blanket stitch and the other is a quilt that I've just sandwiched and am getting ready to quilt. Once that is quilted, I'll start on another quilt top and continue to work on my needle-turn applique and blanket stitch project as well. The hand work gives me something to do in front of TV or when the quilting gets to me and I need a break!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:10 PM

I have exactly this problem, so know how you feel, but I suppose it does keep the UFOs to a minimum, and saves the guilt trip I would get. I rarely make a quilt for a specific purpose - I make them to please myself and it usually 'grows' into a gift for someone. Unless of course I need a baby quilt, but then I usually get plenty of notice, and I never give one of these until the baby is born, so no real problem.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by fluffynan
Wow, so many people who feel the same, and so many who are happy with lots of things on the go. I feel so privileged that you have taken the time to read this.
Today I have fmq on my current quilt and cut some more blocks for another quilt, a sampler. I find that I am enjoying the mix of things and have decided to let go of my guilt. I will never have lots of things on the go, but realise that switching between 2 different projects is actually fun. I may also make some envelope pillowcases from a tute on here. Thank you all for such positive responses and I wish you all fun and happiness in whatever you are doing.
Sue
Sue, this thread has been so interesting, huh??? I'm glad you started something else. You sounded like you wanted to take on more than one thing but "habit" kept you from it.
Remember "girls just wanna have fun"!!!!!!!! :D:D
Happy sewing!! :thumbup:
Old 07-31-2011, 02:21 PM

My problem is the opposite, but not because i always want it that way. Often a need comes when I am in the middle of something.
the latest example -- I was making a quilt for a son and his wife when a close friend suddenly annnounced her retirement in three weeks. Well, we had to make something so, using my stash, I immediately put together some simple blocks that others could sign, in her favorite colors -- it was a rush, and we got it done, just barely, but now I can go back to the other with a fresh train of thought.
I think it goes back to trying to clothe everyone for Easter and trying to make three dresses at once and a jacket or some such.
Large family, if you do not multi-task, it makes it very difficult -- and that is often what many projects really are -- just multi-tasking.
A lot of us in mid-60's intereting.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:50 PM

I like to finish a project before going to next. Only thing I have going more than one is books. I keep one in my car to read when waiting, one in the bedroom and one in sitting room. But sewing and craft projects I need to finish or will not finish at all.
Take care.
Linda
Old 07-31-2011, 02:55 PM

Try just having two projects going at a time- I like to have one that I'm piecing and one that I'm quilting going at the same time. Then if I get bored with quilting I can switch to piecing, and vice versa. Two projects at once is manageable, and if you're making progress on both of them (not just starting them and stuffing them in the closet indefinitely), you shouldn't have to feel guilty over it.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by fluffynan
I read often of how many of the people on this board have many projects on the go at one time. Wish I could be the same. I was raised to always finish what I started before starting something new, and it is now affecting my quilting. Sounds daft I know. I find that when I am getting bored or frustrated with my current project I am unable to start something new, much as I would love to, until the current project is finished. I am sure that this will eventually affect the quality of my work. How can I overcome this and enjoy having more than one thing on the go at a time?
Do any on you have the same hang ups? It sounds so silly as I am in my 60s and should be able to pick up and put down without the idiotic feeling of guilt.
Sue
You know what? You are the lucky one and are really blessed! You get projects done! Jeannie
Old 07-31-2011, 03:33 PM

I am totally like that! I tend to think once I finish something I can move on to another project. I think it's great! Better than a bunch of half done stuff laying around!
Old 07-31-2011, 04:05 PM

Perhaps, you should intentionally not buy everything you need for a couple of projects, then having to go to Amarillo can be your reason/excuse for having more than one project going at least until you get used to the idea. I think with practice, having more than one project (if that is truly your desire) will get easier. I LIKE having only one project going. May take me a while to get it done, but I feel more organized that way, unfortunately right now I have about six in different stage of completion.