Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Peiced first Scrappy - Have you ever finished a quilt without borders? >

Peiced first Scrappy - Have you ever finished a quilt without borders?

Peiced first Scrappy - Have you ever finished a quilt without borders?

Old 08-05-2011, 04:56 AM

Hello Ladies

I just finished my very first scrappy quilt. It was fun but lots of piecing (finished 50 x 70). And I had to use a friends' scraps since I don't have any - I'm afraid that I only buy enough material, if that, for a specific quilt - not much left over.

Since everyone always wants to know the information on a photo, I will give that info first, and then ask my questions. It came from:
Quilts From the Heart
Karin Renaud
Pattern: Arkansas Crossroads

1) I was wondering if you have to put a border on (maybe it serves a purpose) ?? I like it the way it is but have never really seen a quilt without a border. Any suggestionson on this?

2) I now would like to do another scrappy and don't know how to go about purchasing material. Like I said I don't have any "scraps" and had spent all day with a friend cutting up hers for my quilt. Since she was so kind I would never ask her again to help me out for my next scrappy quilt. But now, how do I proceed to get material to do another one. The biggest scraps we used were 3 inches wide, so do I buy small yardage of lots of material (I am imagining the look on cutting girls' face if I do this), but really want to do another one. How do I buy fabric for a scrappy quit?

On another note - good and bad. I've been quilting for 4 years (still a beginner), and until last night my husband has only told me ONCE that he liked my quilt. Last night he liked this one, and said the colors are great, nice and bright. So I guess that was the good part, but the bad part is that I guess I don' pick the right colors myself.

I'm still learnng but would love to hear your suggestions.
Thank You
Karen
Marietta, Georgia

My frist scrappy quilt so far
[ATTACH=CONFIG]236847[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-236841.jpe  
Old 08-05-2011, 04:59 AM

I've made quilts that don't have borders, just quilted and put on binding. It depends on the quilt and what I want it to look like. It is your quilt, do it however you want. For scraps, how about buying some charm packs or fat quarters?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:59 AM

beautiful quilt. Remember this is your quilt and there are not right ways or wrong ways. I think it is beautiful as it is without a boarder.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:01 AM
Power Poster

Hi Karen, that's a very beautiful quilt!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, your first one???
I love it w/o borders. No law that says you need them and this one looks perfect the way it is!
About scraps- first of all many times they are offered here on the board. You may want to buy some fat quarters too (18x22). Most fabric stores won't cut anything less than an eighth cut.
Hope this helps :)
Old 08-05-2011, 05:01 AM

That is a beautiful quilt! You did a great job. Entirely up to you if you use borders or not. I like this one without.

Lots of people save scraps but don't use them themselves.

You could try putting an ISO message on this board, or check with your local quilt guild to see if anyone has any they'd be willing to sell.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:03 AM

Hi. Lovely quilt. I've made the same pattern without borders and think quilts without borders look wonderful. If you want a bigger quilt, just add more blocks.

As to purchasing material for scrap quilts, you could buy fat quarters, fat eighths, or, regular quarter or eighth yards in what ever fabric you like.

I've purchased as much as twenty eighth yards at a time off bolts in order to have different fabrics for colorful scrap quilts. It works well to obtain a variety of patterns and colors.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:03 AM

Your quilt do it as you like maybe you could buy scraps from qb members for your next a great way to get an interesting variety
Old 08-05-2011, 05:04 AM

Your scrappy is beautiful! Not all quilts have or need borders. I've done a few without. When it comes to buying fabrics for scrappies, I get a lot of fat ¼ s and sometimes swap scraps with other quilters in my group. Perhaps you can swap with people on the board?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:06 AM

this would be beautiful with out a boarder on it.. I would just do a white small binding after quilting... just so you could quilt to the edge you should baste on a boarder of something an old sheet or something you could take off later then do the binding.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:12 AM

I think your quilt is beautiful.if you don't want a border you don't have to use one I would sew around the out side edge before you put the binding on.I love the pattern.if it's not illegal I will send you scrapes for a copy of the pattern.really all I need is the size of the squares and a drawing of the white blocks.my dh just looked over my shoulder and says he likes your quilt too!!emmamarie