Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting injury >

Quilting injury

Quilting injury

Old 08-24-2011, 10:05 AM

For the last few weeks, while I've been FMQing, my neck and shoulders have been sooo tight and stiff. I just got back from the chiropractor and man what a difference!!! He adjusted both sides of my neck, left shoulder, and mid thoracic.

He asked me "what the heck have you been doing to cause this tightness!!". I said quilting.

He said "you mean like little old ladies do?"

"Watch it buster!! I resemble that remark!!"

I really need to fix my quilting setup. My machine is far too high. I just raised my chair and tried a few lines and it's not good enough.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:07 AM

Yeah, I know about this problem. I had my machine on top of the cabinet for another machine, but it was way too high. We moved the cabinet out of the sewing room and moved a gate leg table in, which is much lower. Gone is the shoulder and neck pain!!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:07 AM

Oh you poor thing. I ended up putting a firm pillow on my chair seat in order to get it high enough. I also have an RX for muscle relaxants (LOL)
Old 08-24-2011, 10:08 AM

Massage therapist just told me to quick hunching over my work. I've made a concious effort to sit up straight, shoulders back when piecing and it's really helping.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:13 AM

I usually just end up with very sore thumb joints
Old 08-24-2011, 10:22 AM

I feel your pain, literally!! I have been asked the same question by 2 different chiropractors... what are you doing to cause this much damage to your body??? Can you limit the time you sew to maybe just 30- 45 mins.... As I am ROFLOL at the last remark.. I am certain, he hasn't met many quilters lately!!!

My chair is as high as it can go and is very comfortable and supportive, I use 2 heavy duty banquet tables for my sewing tables, and I love all the room they afford. Both chair and table are pefect... but not for me!!
Problem:Banquet tables are too high, the amount that could be cut off the legs isn't going to help me much. I can't drop the machines into the table because of the leg structure underneath. I have been searching everywhere for the 'perfect' table height but so far haven't found one that works for me. I love all the room on my banquet tables and love my chair.... gee, obviously the problem is ME! :lol:
I am watching this topic with interest... hope someone has a great idea on how to match, chair to table, to machine to person!:lol: Hope that makes sense!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:24 AM

A student's backpack with two pound weights in it has made my thoracic region much happier while FMQ. I had the weights, otherwise I'd gone outside and picked up some rocks. The backpack was 25 cents at a garage sale.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 AM

I have my machine up high! Put it there because hunching over a lower machine really hurt my upper back and neck and shoulders. My seat is low and my machine high. A side benefit is when I'm doing complex quilting and standing helps me keep the bulk of the fabric in the right place I can do so easily.

I used a ball to sit on while sewing for years after a roll over in an RV and a sacrum injury. It keeps you a bit lighter all around (think it would be different, but....).

Also, we have hand rails on both sides going up to our apartment and I use those to do a stretch a massage therapist told me to do.... put one foot up a few steps, lean forward against that upper leg and push forward and up and around to standing, stretching my chest out as I go. It is a wonderful way to relieve that ache caused by leaning forward so much. You can do the same using a door, but the stairs work better.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Divokittysmom
I have been searching everywhere for the 'perfect' table height but so far haven't found one that works for me. I love all the room on my banquet tables and love my chair.... gee, obviously the problem is ME! :lol:
I am watching this topic with interest... hope someone has a great idea on how to match, chair to table, to machine to person!:lol: Hope that makes sense!
Well, when I demonstrated (sans machine, quilt or table - kinda like "air guitar" quilting) he told me that wants my hands to be a height somewhere between my belly button and my last rib. Right now my hands are about even with my arm pits. MUCH too high.

I know this sounds stupid (to him - perhaps not to you guys) but I'm almost done quilting this quilt. I don't want to make any changes to my set up now. My "muscle memory" is there.

as soon as I'm done though I'm getting out the jig saw!!
Old 08-24-2011, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
A student's backpack with two pound weights in it has made my thoracic region much happier while FMQ. I had the weights, otherwise I'd gone outside and picked up some rocks. The backpack was 25 cents at a garage sale.
I've thought of using one of those. I've seen the weighted harnesses before and figured a back pack would work just as well.

I think this will help me keep my back straight and my shoulders up and back - but I still need to adjust the height of the machine. I'm only 5' tall and I have a machine sitting on the top of a 30" table. What I need is a bar stool!!