how much do you tip

Old 08-26-2011, 02:54 PM

Old 08-26-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by amyjo
I guess I must be cheap, because I don't leave a tip. I figure they are charging enough for the service that I shouldn't have to give more. Is this just me?

I don't either and for the same reason. I seldom tip at a restaurant either. For what the meal costs, the waitress should get paid more wages and not expect more from the patrons. I know I'm cheap, but no one tipped me for my services in the office. Marge, shut up.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:26 PM

I only leave a tip at holiday time. I get mine cut about every 6 weeks. I couldn't afford to do it every time.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:27 PM

My bill is for color & cut I give $20 tip, my bill is $95.. plus I bring her Peanut M&M's she loves them.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by themachinelady
Like some of the others on here, I don't understand the concept of all the tipping that everyone thinks must be done. I worked in office settings and on some jobs didn't make even minimum wage, but did I receive any tips for the good service I gave. Absolutely not! Then I have had good paying jobs where I worked my buns off to give good customer service for the company and again any tips, NO, I was being paid a salary why should I expect tips. The good customer service was considered part of the job!

Everyone thinks everyone should be tipped for a sneeze in my book, like the mailman for example. He is hired to do a job and is expected to perform accordingly, why does anyone think they need to give him an additional tip. Not singling out mailpeople, but just using that as an example, there are a lot of other jobs that this applies to as well.

I think several have expressed some extra good points on not tipping and the size of the tips. Sometimes I think people leave a generous tip, because they think it makes them look flush with money and more important rather than for the good service.

Yes, I tip, for good service to a reasonable amount, but am not overly generous to the point of showing off. When you are tipping the waitress or waiter in the restaurant you are really subsidizing the restaurant owner and helping him get by more cheaply by not having to pay his share of their salary. And if the owner reported ten or 15 percent tips to the government when I didn't make that much I would be upset and be having a talk with that employer about reporting false income. Tips should be counted and reported accordingly in my thoughts. I probably wouldn't have a job, but the government gets enough of my money without paying them for income I didn't get.

At some of the prices for haircuts, shampoos etc., I couldn't afford to get it cut or shampooed much less leave a tip. I guess we live in a very economical area.

I feel tipping is a reward for extra good service and should not be expected. If a server was rude to me because I didn't tip 20 to 25 percent, I would ask him for the tip back and tell him/her with their attitude they didn't deserve anything! I'm sorry, but I think one needs to earn a tip for good service, it should not be expected. In a restaurant where I have received extremely poor service and a bad attitude, I have left one penny on the table. Was I cheap? Some would say yes, but I was making a point to her that what she did wasn't worth a tip period for what she did and hopefully she might get the message and improve! Then on the other hand when I have had exceptional service I have been very generous too.

Maybe I should not eat out or go to the hairdresser or anyplace else that expects tipping huh? Then everyone suffers from loss of business, is that good? Then we all lose in the end too.

Like others I think tipping has gotten out of hand and people expect a handout for no good reason even. I don't mind rewarding for above and beyond what one is hired to do, but don't tell me I am obligated for no good reason.

Just my two cents worth today whether it is right or wrong it is my opinion.

themachinelady
:thumbup:
Old 08-26-2011, 06:16 PM

The hairdressers do not earn lot of money - they depend on their tips to make a decent living - much like waitresses
I guess I must be cheap, because I don't leave a tip. I figure they are charging enough for the service that I shouldn't have to give more. Is this just me?
Old 08-26-2011, 06:27 PM

When I tip for anything, I always tip 20%. Just a habit for me.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning
Depends on where you are and who the "they" are that are doing the charging? Does the person providing the service set the prices? Are they an owner or employee? If they are an employee, their tips are part of their income and their pay may be lower because of that. Waiters/waitresses work below minimum wage and depend on tips. But a tip is an acknowledgement of good service. It is not simple.
i leave 20% on all services - nails, haircuts, etc. if it's the owner, then i sometimes rethink that unless he/she has done me a special favor like squeezed me in without an appointment.
i've been going to the same place for about 6 years because the same nail girl makes time for me and does a good job for me.
same for haircuts. i don't want to train a new haircutter or nail girl. that's worth a 20% tip and a special Xmas present.

on the other issue of waitresses i tip on the total amount of the bill before taxes or coupons. AND i learned today that the waitress in our local diner gets $2 ($2!!!) an hour. the rest of her income is dependent on tips, which she's supposed to claim for taxes. from those tips, she shares with the busboy. from one week to the next, she never knows how much money she'll earn. and that's a GOOD waitress. i wonder how many people stiff her. i know she's been there for 11 years. i think she deserves a raise.

i also tip the guy who delivers the pizza or the chinese food.
they also work for practically nothing and i never had one that was anything but solicitous.

do you tip the guy who works for your plumber? or your roofer?
Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
depends on the cost.. IMHO 10% is on the low end 15% is average and 20-25% is for excellent service... but thats just me.. We've been known to leave 50% if the service was outstanding for restaurants....

I too only get my hair cut but once a year.. Its pretty long, but its usually less than $15 . if she was ok $2 if she did a really nice job then $5 but hardly ever more than that for a cheapo cut.. Hubby always gives $5 but hes not a singles kinda guy- he leaves the ones and change on the dresser- Fine by me! it all adds up..
LOL. My hubby is the same way! That is why I have more change and bills than the bank!
Old 08-27-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
depends on the cost.. IMHO 10% is on the low end 15% is average and 20-25% is for excellent service... but thats just me.. We've been known to leave 50% if the service was outstanding for restaurants....

I too only get my hair cut but once a year.. Its pretty long, but its usually less than $15 . if she was ok $2 if she did a really nice job then $5 but hardly ever more than that for a cheapo cut.. Hubby always gives $5 but hes not a singles kinda guy- he leaves the ones and change on the dresser- Fine by me! it all adds up..
I usually tip in the 15-20% range.