Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Getting ready for no power! >

Getting ready for no power!

Getting ready for no power!

Old 08-25-2011, 04:42 PM

I went to Home Depot at lunch today and there wasn't a D cell battery in the entire store. I couldn't find a AA cell portable lantern anywhere.

I did manage to get some sandwich meat and I will go to the storage facility tomorrow and get a large cooler to keep stuff cold if need be. Hubby will be filling the propane tank, although I don't really have anything to cook on it except hot dogs.

I should probably get hamburg, but I don't want it to go bad.

Last big hurricane (BOB) in 1991 we lost power for 5 days and it was rough. We had fish tanks then and I kept taking the fish back and forth to work to keep the filter working for them.

Now, it's just two cats.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:43 PM

I have a sister that lives in Hoboken, NJ and they are trying hard to finalize their preparations for Irene. My thoughts and prayers go out for everyone in the path of the strong storm! May God keep everyone safe!
Old 08-25-2011, 04:47 PM

Wash. DC is in a direct line from Nags Head. Virginia Beach, Norfolk and 140 miles due north to DC. So many people here from foreign countries have never lived through a hurricane. The media is trying to keep it a little quiet so as not to upset the people. Our power goes down on a regular basis so I know we will be without. Have my treadle geared up to go and my kerosene lamps. Still have to go to Harris Teeters for dry ice for the freezer. I am ready. LOL
Old 08-25-2011, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by COYOTEMAGIC
My folks live in Millville below the Sharp St. bridge if you know where that is. The dam that is there makes me nervous, even when it was originally built the engineer said it wasn't built to specs. If it goes, so do my folks and everybody I grew up with.
I too am in Millville...not too far from Wheaton Village...I know what you mean about the Sharp St. dam...scary...
Old 08-25-2011, 05:06 PM

Prayers going your way ..stay safe everyone...run water in the bathtub to use for flushing your toilet.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:07 PM

Take it from a Floridian if you are in the cone, batten down, get everything up off the floor you can, get you, your family, pets and irreplaceables (that includes the laptops and PCs) and get out!! Be safe everyone.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:12 PM

In case someone here hasn't had experience with flushing a toilet without power and water, I thought I'd give some pointers.
It's not your house power that matters unless you are on a well, it is the power at the pumping station with your water/sewer that may be out.
Fill a bucket of water about half or 3/4 full of water and holding the bucket about waist or chest high depending on how tall you are, pour the water all at once into the bowl, which is the round part you sit on. That should cause enough pressure that the toilet will flush itself.
The water you use in the bucket does not have to be fresh drinking water.
Fill your bathtub as full as you can before the storm hits and use this water. If you run out of water you can use any water found in ditches, lakes or streams. Save your fresh, clean water for drinking, cooking, brushing your teeth or washing.
If you have children teach them the old saying:
"If it's yellow let it mellow, if it's brown flush it down!
You should practice a few times before this info is needed.

Another thing to think about is cash. If the power is out in a wide area the banks won't be open and the ATM's won't work, the gas stations won't work so gas up now and get some cash to tuck away somewhere safe.

Since I've been there, done that I thought I would mention a few things.
HTH

:-D
Old 08-25-2011, 05:15 PM

Now would be the time for an old treddle!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by gal288
We have a generator that automatically kicks on.
The biggest problem is running the well, for toilet purposes!
I'm curious, is not the well pump circuit connected to the generator??

We are expecting Irene maybe Sunday. We too have a generator but it is a medium sized one so I have meals prepared ahead and will reheat on the propane camping stove. I have frozen water in coffee cans to use in a cooler so we don't have to run the generator all the time. Manual can opener, full tank of gas and a new quilting mag. Good thing I was a Girl Scout leader for 10 years. :thumbup:

piney
Old 08-25-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by gal288
I've been busy today, pressing, cutting, and getting a redwork quilt traced to work on during Irene.

Live in NJ, predictions are we may be without power for 3 - 5 days, can't bear the thought of not quilting. For sure I will go nuts in the house with just my DH and no power.

Other people are preparing for the hurricane, I'm preparing for boredom!

In all seriousness, I wish everyone in the path, minimum damage, no loss of life or property, and above all, safety!
As a Floridian, I can surely relate to your "hurricane preparations"! We are on a grid that frequently loses power anyway, but worse during storms. During Tropical Storm Fay, I was able to cut out 2 queen size quilts! At least I had something more fun to do than just to watch the idiots try to drive their cars thru 3 feet of water only to get stuck and have to be rescued by police.

Stay safe. Hoping you don't lose power for long and if you get any damage, I hope it's minimal.