Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >

Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-06-2011, 09:56 AM

Gluten Free online magazine

I've heard many of you mention that you were gluten free, do you know of this magazine?

http://easyeats.com/

Just thought I'd give you a heads up!
Old 09-06-2011, 10:06 AM

I am not in the challange, buy keep tabs on what is going on here! At the mention of gluten free, I wanted to share a website. She did a year of cooking in her crock pot every day & sharing recipes & they are all gluten free. With the cooler weather coming (well, not here, but for a lot of you!) I thought you may enjoy it.

http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/
Old 09-06-2011, 12:31 PM
mim

Judy -- I am sorry to hear about your grandson. When I met my DH Ed#1 -- he insisted that I go to classes at Joslin Clinic in Boston -- the specialty clinic on the east coast . He wanted me to know what I was getting into -- It was a second marriage for both of us.

It was fascinating to see little kids -- 4 and 5 learning to manage their own diabetes and the calories vs exercise ratios. And the people from all over the world -- even veiled ladies -- and this was back in the late 70s.

I learned all about feet and eye and kidney problems. The one thing that was not mentioned was that blood vessels in the brain also are involved and can bleed. seeming like a stroke.

My prayers and hopes go out to him and his bride.

Mim
Old 09-06-2011, 12:45 PM

mim, how do you make that strawberry parfait?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:18 PM
mim

-- we always bought it at the grocers -- it is called sorbet by one of the manufacturers. When I bought it I used beaten unflavored jello and softened it then added to he pureed strawberries and used the blender some more before I froze it -- or just served it cold.

There was also a "ice cream" milk shake that was a powder and you blended it with water (or skim milk) and ice cubes in the blender -- I will have to think hard to come up with a brand name -- I got it -- slim fast -- the chocolate was the only one he really liked.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:37 PM
mim

Thinking about the whole time back then -- he died in 93 -- There were no "no salt" and "no sugar" products back then -- so I canned, made my own catsup and cocktail sauce. And jams and jellies using aspertame from Canada because you could cook with it and still have a good taste, Even toothpaste was off limits -- too much salt -- mustn't swallow any. How times have changed to make foods a lot healthier -- good news for heart and diabetic problems.

I learned to make gingerbread cookies that were 10 calories each. -- He had a real sweet tooth
Old 09-06-2011, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by mim
Thinking about the whole time back then -- he died in 93 -- There were no "no salt" and "no sugar" products back then -- so I canned, made my own catsup and cocktail sauce. And jams and jellies using aspertame from Canada because you could cook with it and still have a good taste, Even toothpaste was off limits -- too much salt -- mustn't swallow any. How times have changed to make foods a lot healthier -- good news for heart and diabetic problems.

I learned to make gingerbread cookies that were 10 calories each. -- He had a real sweet tooth
I'd like the gingerbread cookie recipe if you still have it.
I have a sweet tooth and love gingerbread.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:50 PM

We both like gingerbread & any 10 cal cookie sounds great.I'd also like the recipe.

Originally Posted by purplemem
Originally Posted by mim

I'd like the gingerbread cookie recipe if you still have it.
I have a sweet tooth and love gingerbread.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:12 PM

I went on a bike ride with my son this afternoon. That was my first bike ride this summer. (just too blasted hot!) Oh my aching butt, thighs and wrists! But what a gorgeous day here in Wisconsin.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:15 PM

Been having a good wk food wise.Had chicken breast,fresh grean beans & cottage cheese for supper.
The slo cooker will be on all nt to make broth for beef/veggie soup tomor.I love home made soup. It fills me up & so handy to have in fridge/freezer.

For those who have Aldi groceries,I bought the spreadable cheese wedges... cheese for $1.49,Greek yogurt for 88c & turkey tenderloin. That was $6.49...it's 2 pieces of tenderloin.DD said they liked it & after a meal, there was enough left for several sandwiches.
I'm already thinking how I'll miss all the fresh fruit/veggies as summer winds down.