Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >

Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-06-2011, 07:22 AM

gee, jeri-- you should throw in a salad and offer to join her!
Old 09-06-2011, 07:26 AM
mim

My former DH was a brittle diabetic and sometimes was insulin resistent -- and of course always hungry. During the worst times he was on 800 calories a day -- no - that is NOT a typo. 800 calories was do-able -- He ate lots of strawberry parfait , watermelon, celery and carrot sticks.

Strawberry parfait is almost calorie free -- and a great replacement for icecream.

Diabetes is not a simple problem and I am careful not to ever get close to type 2 -- nevermind type 1. He died of complications many years ago.
Old 09-06-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by purplemem
I have a new challenge to finish out the year.

The journey of 1,000 miles begins with one step.

We have 116 days left in 2011. Each of us should set the "mileage" they want to walk daily. Let's say, for example, I want to walk 2 miles a day.

Next step. Multiply by 2 x 116 and I get 232. Now the fun part, go to your map, find your location, and pick 232 (or your number) miles away, for me that is Birmingham, AL!

I am walking to Birmingham! Pick your location and let's start walking!

Clear as mud? Where are you walking???
Great idea....I am on my way to Bessemer, AL which is just south of Birmingham about (10 miles? or so). I leave in the morning and at 3.5 miles a day I should be there by noon on the 31. Some days I go a little further but that will make up for the one day of rest I take......

Again, great idea

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 09-06-2011, 08:12 AM

mim, I have a 25 year old grandson who had a flu type virus when he was 18. It attacked his pancreas and J now has diabetes. He is on a pump and shots and still has to be hospitalized periodically because he's not stable. In some ways he has the body of an old man. He recently started his own tea shop. I pray that his health will allow him to be successful. He also was married this year. A lot of stress for someone in his position. It's heartbreaking. I know you're not supposed to have favorite grandchildren, but this one is something special. He has to be my favorite male grandchild.

I will walk 102 miles to see Josh's tea shop. I guess I need to walk back, too. The dogs will be happy if I add back in the second walk that I dropped when I developed neuropathy. OK, two it is. Downtown Grand Rapids and back is almost the required mileage. The difference will give me an occasional day of only one walk.

Lynne, my heart goes out to those in the path of the fires. I hope we are all praying for rain (those of us so inclined). I know I am, as is my son in NJ. There's power in corporate prayer. I talked to D last night. He has a soft spot for Texas - except for the area he last worked in. I won't name it in case someone lives there.

I haven't weighed yet this morning. Wishing won't lower the scales. Maybe I really need that second walk back, plus the TV exercise.

Off to a meeting at church. See you later. I am losing weight and getting healthier. Judy
Old 09-06-2011, 08:34 AM

I'll pray for Texas too for the wildfires to cease, I know a lot of places are having pretty nasty fires this year. Scary stuff.

I'm sorry to hear about the health issues of your grandson Irishrose, I hope he does well in his business and that his body will recover. I'll say a prayer for him too.

Thanks for the tips on some ice cream replacements. In the past I've had a hard time with portion control, so eating something like frozen yogurt instead of having plain ice cream will be better for me. I did see the needle move down a bit when I weighed myself today, so every little bit helps.

Off to watch those youtube videos before I forget.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:39 AM

Hello everyone! Just finished reading posts to catch up on the news.

Xylie, you are amazing. I enjoy reading your posts for the information and encouragement you give all of us. Thank you.

I really love the idea about the mileage walk. Now that the hot weather seems to be breaking some, I'm going to be able to spend more time outdoors on the walking trail in our city park. I'm going to have to figure out how many miles I will be able to do each day and pick a destination. My grandson will be stationed in Charleston so maybe I'll walk over to visit with him.

We're leaving in the morning to drive up to Great Lakes, Illinois to attend our grandson's Navy boot camp graduation. It's going to be tempting to eat my way up and back during the drive. Hopefully I can get in enough exercise to offset anything that tempts me. Luckily there is a fitness center at the hotel where we'll be staying so I'll make sure I get on the treadmill a couple times a day and bank some mileage that way.

Hope all of you have a great week.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:43 AM

Just wanted to say hi. Haven't weighed myself since last week. I am sort of afraid to. Had a bad weekend so I am hoping to "catch up" during the week and "break even" when I weigh in on Friday.

Everyone have a blessed day.

Karen
Old 09-06-2011, 08:55 AM

one of my lifesaving snacks is the chocolate fudge pops.

I buy them at Dollar Tree for 6 in a package for $1!
They have 60 calories each and are my bedtime snack.

They control my chocolate craving AND my ice cream urge.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:58 AM

Judy, I know exactly how you feel about your grandson having diabetes. My 27 yr old son has had it since he was 16. I think marriage would be a good thing for him.....someone to encourage (nag) him to eat healthy and take care of himself and also to be there every night/morning in case of any problems.
The fires in Texas are getting much too close to my house there. I don't even know when I will be headed down there again.
My weekend was not great. I had company and spent most of my time cooking and then cleaning up the mess. Besides eating too much. My daughter's birthday was yesterday and it just makes me so sad that this is her 2nd birthday she has had while in Korea. I only sent her food for a gift as she will be moving back to the USA in a month.
Tomorrow I will be getting up early to drive to Madison. I am volunteering at the quilt show there. I will also do a shift on thursday. My hope is that I can meet someone to walk around with to enjoy the quilts. It just seems sad to go to something like that by yourself. Maybe it would be okay. I hope so. That's probably how it will turn out.
I need to get back on my food plan. I have gained back all the weight I lost last month.
Freaky, for some reason my computer is centering each line instead of having it all go to the left. I don't like it! Well, now it back to normal!
Old 09-06-2011, 09:07 AM

Pam,
Put a tag on that says, "I need a quilt-y friend"

I bet you have lots of volunteers at the quilt show...
sometimes we have to step out of our comfort zone to meet our needs. We can't have what we don't ask for.