Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >
  • Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

• Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-08-2011, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by JHolm

How is everybody in TX - anybody near the fires?
    Jeanne, I am not in any danger and I haven't smelled smoke/trees/etc since Monday, but the local tv stations are constantly scrolling the subdivision evacuations across the screen. That must mean there is something pretty close. To the west of us is a heavy smoke bank. We are expected to return to 100 degree days on Monday.

Thanks for your prayers. I am so blessed.
    Old 09-08-2011, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
    The pictures are beautiful and a blessing to behold.

I have a wonderful report! I lost 2 REAL pounds! I am so excited
    that I finally moved.

I am almost in the 250's, and can't wait.

Xylie, nancia, and Irish - thanks for the challenges.

I did 2 miles yesterday in my wheelchair! I know, it's not fair that I get to ride, but it was such a blessing to be out of the house.
    We went to the county fair. I did eat junk food but I never finished any of the servings. It was enough to have a few bites for the "cravings".

I had so much fun watching the children slide down the giant slide and talking with my quilting buddies.

What a blessing of a wonderful day!
    Great news MJ. Glad that you got a change of scenery.
    Old 09-08-2011, 02:58 PM

Not really a good day for me. My kid is about to smother under the homework. He was up until after 1am - I do not sleep when my guys are up or gone. I had planned to have my workout finished before he got up; Thursdays are late arrival days; but he was up at 6 to finish his paper. DH says I am not moving well, so he has grounded me. I stood at my cutting table for a couple of hours, probably not a good thing. I can't just sit around. Drives me bonkers. And that is a short trip. Besides, I have tons to do.

Thanks for letting me empty these frustrations. I'd like to bury them and leave them for dead.
    Old 09-08-2011, 04:06 PM

I'm sorry I haven't kept up with all the posts lots of stuff going on and I wish could comment but I feel a little lost.

Oh well I'll just throw in my thoughts about what we refer to as plateaus. I lost more weight in August than I should have but it's been pretty slow this month and it's a good thing. I know I've lost ten pounds off my ankles and I don't know how these poor little ankles are holding the rest of me up. I know I've lost another five pounds off my face and so I've started my face exercises.

I'm so glad I joined the challenge this month because it's great for staying motivated but I don't think I have a chance at winning the fabric. I'm happy to say that like so many others here I feel like we are all winners with any amount of weight loss.
    Old 09-08-2011, 08:46 PM

Can't remember who recommended this, but thanks for the reminder about drinking water. I forget to do that and become dehydrated (pinch the skin on the back of my hand and it stays up).

One thing I did when starting this journey last month was to throw away nearly everything in my kitchen that I didn't want to put in my mouth. That has really helped.

I started a vegan diet but realized it wasn't realistic for me to do such a radical change 100% of the time so I've modified it somewhat so that it works for me. A way that will work for me for the rest of my life. (By the way, there is protein on a vegan diet, it's just in the form of vegetables.)

I learned the hard way that I cannot have wheat. I had none for a couple of weeks, felt good, then had sandwiches every day for a week. Oh, my. Besides the physical problems, I became horribly depressed. (I went to Hancock's sale and didn't care!) Went back to wheat-free eating and within 24 hours I felt okay again. Staying away from it is going to be hard but I can do it.

I've got to get back to walking. Having a destination in mind sounds like fun. I think I'll walk to Paradise, a town in the foothills.
    Old 09-08-2011, 09:24 PM

MJ, your weight loss is wonderful. There's something about the zeros that are exciting.

Joyce99, staying away from wheat isn't that hard if you know that your health depends on it. The gluten causes the villi in the intestines to stop absorbing nutrients from your food. How long can I stay healthy without nutrients? Gluten also aggravates my other inflammatory autoimmune diseases and makes my body hurt too much. There are many decent substitutes, especially if you can yeast or corn, which I can't. I prefer homemade items with my own flour mix - rice flour, coconut flour, tapioca flour, Xanthan gum, etc. I am giving up my high protein diet in the morning and making some yummy muffins. I can have gluten free oatmeal, too, which some celiacs can't. Oat flour has a nice nutty flavor. I usually prefer homemade, but Bob's Mill's Brownie Mix is good.

Three miles closer to GR - 25 minutes exercise, 2 walks totaling over 2 miles. Can't drive the car through the woods to check one of them. Eating? Questionable. I went to a meeting at church tonight. At refreshment time, my friends fed me extra ice cream because I couldn't have brownies and cookies. It doesn't bother me, but it bothers some people. Of course, I'm the one who ate it. No one force fed me. Luckily I ate lightly today. Water - not so good.

Busy all day and nothing done. How did I ever find time to work?

Goodnight, all.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by nancia
    this is 3 wks old. she started playing games with us. her mom pretended to chew her fingers, yum,yum,yum, about 3 times and then stopped. olivia reached out and put her fingers in her mom's mouth. she did this twice. we think she's brilliant!! lollollol
    Oh,our baby is growing like a weed.You do know she's our baby too,right?cause I never had any children myself,so this is just as exciting for me.I love babies and have took care of many babies over the yrs.When I was 14 I babysat a 9 mo. old who called me mama.Cause her mom was a drunk and only had her from 10 am to 3 pm,I had her the erst of the time.Wished I could a kept her I took care of her so long,she was like my own.So,you are very nice to share Olivia with us all.I know I really 'enjoy' seeing and hearing about how she's doing.I'm attached to her already.Ok,well I hate that our stupid power was out and still going off and on.It's a 114 today,so not good.We have 3 / 12 volt fans,so did go into town and got 24 batteries just in case.Each one takes 8 sz D cells.But still using the ones that were in them,they last 2 days on a set running 24/7.And we went to the thrift store,and I found a smoothy machine,so am going to start drinking green veggie shakes.On You-tube,people are losing weight like mad on green smoothy's/juices.Plus curing ailments of all kinds.Could be popycock,but won't hurt me to drink them.I can eat/drink anything if it don't bite me first!So CHEERS ladies,next time I go to town,I'll stock up on kale,celery,carrotts,etc and get to going on them.That lady the skinny bitches I told you about last night,started them and lost weight.She never done them,like me,before.She said she drank one for breakfast and it lasted for hrs and she wasn't hungry and said she felt good on them.Of cours,my smoothy is just a blender really with a spout for pouring.But that works great too.So,lets get this weight off,I'm trying new things I never done before.I'm adventurous.And who knows,it may work.If nothing else,I'm drinking healthy stuff.So,good luck.And nancia,you are pretty.A lot more prettier than me.I'm not bad,and in my younger days had to swat the guys off with a stick,I swear,they pestered the crap out of me.Not because I was beautiful,but because I turned my nose up at them,and they were used to getting any gal they wanted.Poor boys!It'a all in the chase you know!LOL Anyway,I got to get me a camera too so I can post my mug shot too!Lets get this weight off.I'm so ready.We need to drink lots of water too,it flushes the fat out of our system and helps us get full.Drink a big glass before meals 1/2 an hr.I drink 3 1qt bottles 3 X a day at 9am,1pm,and 5pm in a 30 minute time frame.That is my fat flusher.And I drink a few other qts throughout the day besides.But it's hot here and we sweat tons,so need it worse than most of you in cooler climates.But you can do the 3 qt's anywhere you live.I did it in Kansas.So,drink your water,eat less and have a deficite at the end of the day so you will LOSE weight!!!!!That's the only way there is to lose weight,pick your goal weight and add a 0 to it.Like mine is 140 +0 = 1400 calories a day I need to eat {only,and NO more} to get there.Now,let's get er done!
    Old 09-08-2011, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by purplemem
    The pictures are beautiful and a blessing to behold.

I have a wonderful report! I lost 2 REAL pounds! I am so excited
    that I finally moved.

I am almost in the 250's, and can't wait.

Xylie, nancia, and Irish - thanks for the challenges.

I did 2 miles yesterday in my wheelchair! I know, it's not fair that I get to ride, but it was such a blessing to be out of the house.
    We went to the county fair. I did eat junk food but I never finished any of the servings. It was enough to have a few bites for the "cravings".

I had so much fun watching the children slide down the giant slide and talking with my quilting buddies.

What a blessing of a wonderful day!
    That's great MJ,you met one of the challenges.I met irishrose's challenge.Now I got to meet the 5 pound one.2 more pounds yet tho.Well,maybe this will be the month we all get to moving.Looks like we're all off to a wonderful start! Let's Keep it going ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Old 09-08-2011, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Radiana
    I'm sorry I haven't kept up with all the posts lots of stuff going on and I wish could comment but I feel a little lost.

Oh well I'll just throw in my thoughts about what we refer to as plateaus. I lost more weight in August than I should have but it's been pretty slow this month and it's a good thing. I know I've lost ten pounds off my ankles and I don't know how these poor little ankles are holding the rest of me up. I know I've lost another five pounds off my face and so I've started my face exercises.

I'm so glad I joined the challenge this month because it's great for staying motivated but I don't think I have a chance at winning the fabric. I'm happy to say that like so many others here I feel like we are all winners with any amount of weight loss.
    That's what we do,just jump in and tell us how your doing.Sounds like your doing good.I know what you mean about the 5 pounds in the face too,when I lose weight,I can just feel it everywhere shrinking off.It's a good feeling too.And now if I gain,even water weight,I know it imediately,and feel it.I feel yucky till I get rid of it.And can't wait to get more fat off this body of mine.Good job!!!!!!
    Old 09-08-2011, 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by Leann
    Not really a good day for me. My kid is about to smother under the homework. He was up until after 1am - I do not sleep when my guys are up or gone. I had planned to have my workout finished before he got up; Thursdays are late arrival days; but he was up at 6 to finish his paper. DH says I am not moving well, so he has grounded me. I stood at my cutting table for a couple of hours, probably not a good thing. I can't just sit around. Drives me bonkers. And that is a short trip. Besides, I have tons to do.

Thanks for letting me empty these frustrations. I'd like to bury them and leave them for dead.
    Well,you have a full plate,but on the other hand,dh is right.If your hurting and standing 2 hrs,maybe get a tall bar stool to sit on,or something would help.I can do so much,and I know when I over do it,I can't move for 2 to 3 days,so try not to.I'm no good to anyone gimped up like that,and can't even move.But you are the one in your house who does it all,and so it is hard not to.I know especially when it comes to our houses,we don't want any body else in there doing our jobs.They just don't do it our way,or mine don't anyway.And it's just easier if I do it,cause I know how it has to be done.I don't know what they would do without me,I am the one who does most of it.Guess they'd have to learn to feed themselves!!!!!!!LOL!!!!