Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize!  Winner is Createfourpaws >

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Oct 2011 Weight Loss Adventure with a Prize! Winner is Createfourpaws

Old 10-26-2011, 08:52 PM

hmmm... first, my favorite costume was a big bird (sesame st.) that i made when i was teaching pre-school. i had 2 day 2yr olds, and 3 day 3 yr olds, so i had to have 2 new costumes every year. the first halloween party i wore a large skunk costume i had made( and had made a smaller one for my son) and i got an emergency call telling me my son was violently ill and running a very hi fever. so i left work, went to pick up my son, as a skunk, and took him to the dr. then off to the pharmacy to get the script filled, still as a skunk. the dr's staff were delighted and wanted to know what i was going to be the next day. when i said big bird they begged me to come by and show them. so i did.
the next year the dr's wife called and asked to borrow the costume as she went into the children's ward at the hospital locally, and to the scottish rite, and children's hospitals to cheer up the sick kids and give out treats. it was such a big hit that she borrowed it for the next 2 yrs. after that she kept it. if she'd asked i would have gladly given it to her. certainly she put it to better use than i had! i was glad it brought joy to so many kids! as far as i know, she may still be hitting the hospitals as the world's oldest bird!
i have 3 favorite holidays! 1st son was born on christmas eve. 2nd son was born day after valentine's day. only daughter was born 1 week from halloween. hard to choose! (although i do get more candy out of halloween!)
Old 10-26-2011, 09:21 PM

When I taught middle school and we studied Ancient Egypt, it usually fell around Halloween. I would come to school as Cleopatra. That was great because each year it was a new set of 6th graders, so I always wore that costume.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:35 PM

Halloween memories- the year my husband and I went to a party. I was Little Red Riding Hood - think very short red skirt, high black boots, long red braid (fake), etc. It was the Saturday night before Halloween. We got lost and my husband refused to go in public in a costume. I had to go into a service station alone dressed like that. It certainly brought out the big bad wolf in the attendants. My girls wore the costume for several years but they weren't old enough to attract that kind of attention.

Some of my favorite Thanksgivings were when we had terrible snowstorms and couldn't leave town to go downstate to relatives so we had impromptu dinners with good friends who were in the same boat. One of us always had a turkey - usually me - with such a large family I always bought one when they were on sale whether we were going to be home or not. Then there was the year my oven quit with the family dinner at my house - I had to borrow my neighbor's oven. All those children came in handy to run food back and forth. Now my youngest really wants a family dinner like he remembers here and I'm afraid to attempt it with my back. If he lived close enough to come early to cook, it would work but he doesn't. He's very good in the kitchen.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:17 AM

Still plugging along.Will soon be 2 mos, just a start,as I intend to eat the same healthy way....learning as I go.
Food has become a boring thing that has to be eaten,but can 't say I enjoy most of it.The highlight is fresh fruit....will really miss it this winter.
It's worth it tho.My bra closure has moved twice,jeans are baggy & several tops now moved from favs, to around the house wear.
Holidays are too often just an excuse to pig out.Have to keep a close watch on that,so I don't use that excuse.Have done it too many times in the past.

"The month is coming to an end. How are you all doing? Still keeping up with the exercise and drinking your water. If I have to answer it'd be yes to the exercise question and no to the water question as usual. Okay on food, though the cheese omelet wasn't a good idea. "
Old 10-27-2011, 02:35 AM

murphy1-- i didn't realize you taught middle school. so did i! i loved it. i found there were two types of teachers. those who loved it, and those who hated it! it was like black licorice, no so-so feelings. our ms was grades 6,7 &8. the first yr the 8th graders barbecued me, lol, but after that it was all good!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:23 AM

Hi everyone!

Rainy and cold here in good old PA! Love this weather! But then again I love all four seasons!

Nancia, My oldest daughter was born on christmas eve also.

A group of kangaroos is called a mob, a group of whales a pod, and a group of owls is a parliament. We are a group what should we be called?

Have a super day! Love to all.
Lisa
Old 10-27-2011, 04:31 AM

Good morning all.
My favorite Halloween Costume was a Hobo. I liked that because I could make it myself and I didn't have to go from store to store to find a "fat" costume with my grandma.

My favorite holiday would would have to be equally split between Thanksgiving and Christmas. They were almost always at our house and I would get to help in the kitchen. I learned alot of recipes and cooking ideas during those days that I carried on into my later years. Now my kids are spread out making theier own memories and DH and I just spend the holodays alone reminising.

Neither food or water hasn't been very good this month. I have trouble with water when it starts to get cold as I like to drink hot things (mainly coffee).

Well I'm off to church for Bible Study and assemble Bulletins this morning. Have a great day.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:44 AM

Nancia I always thought middle school was a hidden secret. I taught core which was language arts and social studies. We connected the two through literature. Part way through my middle school years they rearranged the history and gave sixth grade ancient cultures. I loved teaching Ancient Egypt, Greece, China etc. I spent 18 years in middle school and then became the GATE coordinator for my last 5 years . Lots of good memories.
Originally Posted by nancia
murphy1-- i didn't realize you taught middle school. so did i! i loved it. i found there were two types of teachers. those who loved it, and those who hated it! it was like black licorice, no so-so feelings. our ms was grades 6,7 &8. the first yr the 8th graders barbecued me, lol, but after that it was all good!
Old 10-27-2011, 05:53 AM

I found this website that might help. ie a congregation of quilters.

http://www.rinkworks.com/words/collective.shtml

Let's see what we end up with - could be fun.
Originally Posted by ljs317
Hi everyone!

Rainy and cold here in good old PA! Love this weather! But then again I love all four seasons!

Nancia, My oldest daughter was born on christmas eve also.

A group of kangaroos is called a mob, a group of whales a pod, and a group of owls is a parliament. We are a group what should we be called?

Have a super day! Love to all.
Lisa
Old 10-27-2011, 06:14 AM

I wasn't a teacher, but a teacher's aide, a teacher ass't, a parapro or whatever the current name was. I taught remedial reading and math for 25 years in my own classroom in a elementary school, then after I retired I subbed for 7 years. Much of it was in the middle school. I loved the energy in that building. It vibrated from the walls. I liked the high school, too, but junior high was a little iffy.