Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Matching fabric patterns >

Matching fabric patterns

Matching fabric patterns

Old 10-13-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by irishrose
Stack your possibilities so only the edge is showing. Put them on an eye level surface like the top of a display, stand back and squint at your stack. It works amazing well.
This is what my LQS recommended years ago and I still do it. Even within my stash.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by johanka
Originally Posted by Murphy
I carry squares of cardboard with a hole cut in the center with the size and shape of the piece I want to make. This helps me to hold it up to fabric to see how the actual size I want will work. This works very well for me and I have chosen fabrics I might otherwise have avoided.
I like your idea. I might have to give it a try. Thanks
Funny enough I was thinking of doing this just the other day. I often put my two hands and fingers together to make a little window about the size of pieces I will be using from a fabric, to give me an idea as to whether it will work or if I should just walk away! :)
Old 10-13-2011, 12:52 PM

This is where my DH comes in handy. He has a better eye than I do for color and what goes together. If I have to do it on my own I'll lay it out and give it a day or two. Sometimes it takes time for a combination to gel! When using fabric you have on hand I think it's really hard to get a good combination sometimes. I guess that's why they call it scrappy!
Old 10-13-2011, 03:47 PM

Just as you try to contrast the colors, try to have prints that contrast a bit ie. small, medium, large scale or print, stripe, plaid. As someone else said, they are cut into small enough pieces that you usually do not "read" the fabric as what it actually is.

I hope that makes sense. :-)
Old 10-13-2011, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by valsma
Does anyone else feel like they have difficulty matching fabric patterns to go into a quilt? If I get a pattern that calls for contrasting fabrics, I feel like I have a hard time deciding if the fabrics look good together. Does anyone know of a way to tell if fabrics work without only having to buy from a certain collection that you know are designed to match?

The color contrast I get but the actual design on the fabrics sometimes confuse me at to, do they look good together?

One method I use is to pick out a less prominent feature of the focus fabric. The last one had a viney background. I used two matching greens that had a viney theme and the backing was a tone on tone with a viney pattern.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:06 PM

I'm usally a very visual person but when it comes to patterns that go, not so much. I really like a couple of the ideas suggested and will give them a try to see which work for me. Stacking the bolts sounds great if I'm in the store. I think when pulling from my stash I will have to lay the different ones together stand back and see what works. Thank you everyone for your suggestions.