Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Matching fabric patterns >

Matching fabric patterns

Matching fabric patterns

Old 10-13-2011, 10:36 AM

Does anyone else feel like they have difficulty matching fabric patterns to go into a quilt? If I get a pattern that calls for contrasting fabrics, I feel like I have a hard time deciding if the fabrics look good together. Does anyone know of a way to tell if fabrics work without only having to buy from a certain collection that you know are designed to match?

The color contrast I get but the actual design on the fabrics sometimes confuse me at to, do they look good together?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

As far as the actual print of the fabric goes, if the pieces are smallish, you cut the fabric so small the print is sort of lost and you just get the effect of the colors. In this case I would just avoid animal prints, you don't want the wrong end of the horse to wind up in an awkward place.
If the pieces are larger, then they play more of a role in the quilt. Prop up the bolts of fabric on the floor or counter and view your selection from at least six feet. You can see how the prints play together.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:56 AM

I carry squares of cardboard with a hole cut in the center with the size and shape of the piece I want to make. This helps me to hold it up to fabric to see how the actual size I want will work. This works very well for me and I have chosen fabrics I might otherwise have avoided.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:01 AM

You may want to google "Color Wheel". It's a tool designers use to select matching color combinations.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:13 AM

I have a really hard time with this too. I find the ladies at a couple of my local stores are really good at helping with this. Other stores, not so much, so you have to find the right one.

What sometimes helps is to pick a "focus" fabric - one with a combination of colours that you like. You know those go together, because they are in the print. Then you can pick others (and I usually tend to tone-on-tone) to match some of the colours in the print. Then, in the end, decide if you want the print at all - you still know you have a set of matching colours.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:15 AM

The reason fabric collections "go" is they are all of a similar "feel". Often other collections from the same designer will go just as well, too.

Look for prints with a common style or shape within the design...small leaves, vines, geometric shapes, flowers, that type of thing. They really just need something that unites them...color, shape, mood...while still having contrast in other areas so they don't read as boring.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:26 AM

Stack your possibilities so only the edge is showing. Put them on an eye level surface like the top of a display, stand back and squint at your stack. It works amazing well.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Kas

Originally Posted by irishrose
Stack your possibilities so only the edge is showing. Put them on an eye level surface like the top of a display, stand back and squint at your stack. It works amazing well.
Yes! And then rearrange your stack and squint at them some more. I also will take snippets of fabric and do a small mock up of the block to see how it goes best.
Old 10-13-2011, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Murphy
I carry squares of cardboard with a hole cut in the center with the size and shape of the piece I want to make. This helps me to hold it up to fabric to see how the actual size I want will work. This works very well for me and I have chosen fabrics I might otherwise have avoided.
I like your idea. I might have to give it a try. Thanks
Old 10-13-2011, 11:42 AM

Sometimes I do too. I have a hard time if the fabrics are all prints. I usually do ok if I have several blender colors. But to use several prints together is harder for me.