Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-17-2011, 05:43 AM

How very special that will be. Love the idea. Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:50 AM

I think this is a great idea - I don't have any friends or family that quilt themselves, but before my day comes I could possibly make my own!
I've verbaly informed all family members of my wishes to be creamated - No service - no funeral home, rather have a gettogether in my favorite beach park in my hometown. Scatter the ashes to the wind. The funeral quilt - or maybe 3, one for each child as a rememberance, could be used at the gathering.... thanks for bringing up this delicat subject... I will need to someday put all these wishes in writting.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:52 AM

My great uncle used to weave using the left overs from my great aunt's spinning and knitting. At the funeral his casket was draped with one of his rugs.

I worked with a florist for a number of years. We did a funeral for a young woman in our community and did 64 arrangements and we weren't the only florist that delivered to the funeral home. It's good to see families asking for no flowers but gifts to charities instead. The quilt is a wonderful idea.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by betty jo
I work at (2) local funeral homes and since working there I see the waste in funeral flowers, especially the casket flowers which cost several hundred dollars..soooo....I decided I would quilt me a quilt to go on my casket and my family can take it home with them. Has anyone else thought about doing this??? I know we don't like to think about death, but it is coming to all of us.
You know it is funny, I hadn't thought of that but years ago my grandson who was young said to me "Grandma you should make a quilt for your casket" Grandma still dosen't have it done or even started yet!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:06 AM

This is a wonderful idea. I'm going to make one for myself, too. I want people to celebrate my life when I'm gone - even have bought "poppers" to use at the gravesite.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:09 AM

that is a great idea!!i think i will make one for my casket. thanks!!!!!!!!
Old 10-17-2011, 06:12 AM

when my time comes , I want my Family to have a quilt show of all the quilts I have made and also ones I have given away. Since I will be creamated , I want them to take pictures to enjoy later, and I want my favorite for the showing so my children can have there final Goodby.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:18 AM

My aunt was a florist for years. She always said that she didn't want flowers at her funeral. It happened she died 2 days before Christmas and the funeral was the day after. My sister had fits when I mentioned no flowers. As luck would have it, not a florist in town was open the day after Christmas. My sister got someone to open up to do a casket blanket. I would much rather have done anything but this--such as favorite pictures, etc. but I let her have her way to stop the fuss since I was the estate administrator and I knew what was coming anyway since I had just finished Mother's estate. I was right--my sister and brother called daily wanting their money.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by bearisgray
I've also told my family not to spend a lot of money on a casket for my body (not that I'm particularly concerned that they will :? )

My feeling is that - if I can't afford decent furniture now - what's the point in spending a lot of money on something that's just going to get put in the ground - after only a couple of days of ownership?

Unless it's a tree or something like that, of course.
Pre-arrange your funeral ... then no one can mess with your wishes in a sudden moment of stoic guilty grief!!!!!
Don't bet on it. I went with my mother and we did prearrange for her cremation. Her sisters decided she would have a funeral, casket, flowers, the whole works. I had already moved to Florida by that time, and only by sheer coincidence, was back in Missouri when she died.

They completely took over, waived all her arrangements, told me to forget it, and did what they wanted. I rudely told them they could pay for it, too. Then, they got very very mad, but could not do a thing about it when I pulled out the wedding photo of my parents and set it on top of the casket. No, they never divorced. My dad died when I was 14.

So, make your arrangements, and put it in your will that anyone who messes with them gets diddly, and make sure your attorney knows what your plans are.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:26 AM

I think it would be very nice. I was at a funeral one time and they had lots of beautiful quilts on display there that she had made. It added a wonderful touch.