Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-16-2011, 11:00 AM

That's a lovely idea. The nursing home where first my mother, then my father 4 months later died had a tradition when a patient died. When the funeral home came to get the body, the nursing home had a special quilt they used to cover the body as it was wheeled to the hearse. Then the quilt was placed on that person's bed and left for 24 hours so that any staff that had not been on duty at the time would know why that bed was empty. That was just one of the traditions that nursing home had for a death.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:09 AM
Power Poster

i used to be a caskwet embroider, I worked for South Brookly wich merged with york. i did the overlays and the head panels. much more money conscious that the flower thing.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by vagabondmom
That's a lovely idea. The nursing home where first my mother, then my father 4 months later died had a tradition when a patient died. When the funeral home came to get the body, the nursing home had a special quilt they used to cover the body as it was wheeled to the hearse. Then the quilt was placed on that person's bed and left for 24 hours so that any staff that had not been on duty at the time would know why that bed was empty. That was just one of the traditions that nursing home had for a death.
What a lovely thing to do. I am going to mention that to the seniors/care home here. I belong to a society that supports the residents and we are always looking for ways to provide support and maybe we should think about making a quilt for that purpose. By the way, the deceased has to be wheeled right thru where other residents may be sitting.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by vagabondmom
I like this idea! So much easier for anyone to see. I remember visiting my mother at the nursing home and something happened to a resident and everyone was hustled into their room and doors closed.

Our minister asked one time if we had a 'pall' but no one knew what he was talking about. After his explanation, I did look them up online and wondered if a quilt wouldn't serve the same purpose. Maybe make a design that would suit a lot of folks. Don't know if I want to volunteer for the project though .
Old 10-16-2011, 11:37 AM

What a thought provoking thread.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:10 PM

My DH and I have been married 55 years. Our plan is to be cremated, and who ever goes 1st will keep the ashes until the other goes, then our family will put them together and bury them in a family plot. After this many years (and who know how many more there may be) together, I just don't want to think about being seperated at death. No flowers.......no quilt. But I really do like the idea for those who will use a casket.

We have all seen posts on this board, "Support your LQS" My daughter works part time for a florist. She would say,
"Support your Local Florist" Just a thought.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:14 PM

My aunt and uncle each had a single red rose laying on top of their caskets. So nice.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

I've always thought flowers at a funeral never made much sense. A flower from each close family member to place on the coffin/grave is healing and symbolic and that to me is much better then to be swamped with flower arrangements. I've never seen a request for flowers in an obituary so why send them? A handwritten note, a visit, or donation to the family is much more appreciated long after the flowers are forgotten.
I have told everyone in the family, I will be covered with quilt of my DD's choice. If I'm not cremated, which I think is the best choice.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:47 PM

I have told my family to use one of my quilts in place of flowers. I don't care which one, just one I have made.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:00 PM
Power Poster

When my Mom passed we didn't put a quilt on the casket, but we did display quilts next to the casket.