Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers >

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Casket cover quilt vs. casket flowers

Old 10-16-2011, 01:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ewecansew
Originally Posted by vagabondmom
That's a lovely idea. The nursing home where first my mother, then my father 4 months later died had a tradition when a patient died. When the funeral home came to get the body, the nursing home had a special quilt they used to cover the body as it was wheeled to the hearse. Then the quilt was placed on that person's bed and left for 24 hours so that any staff that had not been on duty at the time would know why that bed was empty. That was just one of the traditions that nursing home had for a death.
What a lovely thing to do. I am going to mention that to the seniors/care home here. I belong to a society that supports the residents and we are always looking for ways to provide support and maybe we should think about making a quilt for that purpose. By the way, the deceased has to be wheeled right thru where other residents may be sitting.
The quilt is referred to as a Passage Quilt ... to cover the body in the passage. This way it makes it a little easier for those that see it in the hall, and of course, for the family. Much more personable than a body bag! And certainly more comforting for all involved.

If you check the search function at the top there's several threads about them. Here's a thread that I started awhile back, though there are many others with even more info.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-137503-1.htm

This afternoon I finished putting together a Passage Quilt that I'm donating to our Hospice. Taking a break now as I need to do some measuring and calculating to see if I can manage to get the borders and backing all out of the same fabric!
Old 10-16-2011, 01:29 PM

My mom passed 2 years ago and the night before I was at the funeral home talking to them about the time line for the cemetary and the guy told me that it isn't illegal to take the deceased by private car to the cemetary if you choose. I wish I would have known that a little ahead of time because I would have loved to take mom for her last ride. I know at first it sound kind of weird but I think it would have been an honor for me. I din't think about a quilt but I do have some of her clothes to make a quilt from some day.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:30 PM

There are (expensive) custom quilted linings that can be ordered to put inside caskets instead of the usual satin. I've requested cremation and donations to a favorite charity. I've seen too many funerals with expensive flowers in poor shape, and wished the money had been put to better use.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:33 PM

I think I will make my own casket quilts as well. I saw those on a friend that passed away this summer and I though how much nicer it was.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:38 PM

When my husband passed, I did not have a funeral. Instead I had a 'Celebration of Life' Party, and forbid everyone from wearing black, said jeans and a flannel shirt (his favorate). We had a pot-luck day, family and friends.....He was cremated and sits on my mantel, one day will be buried in the local Military cemetary, but not until I am gone.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by betty jo
I work at (2) local funeral homes and since working there I see the waste in funeral flowers, especially the casket flowers which cost several hundred dollars..soooo....I decided I would quilt me a quilt to go on my casket and my family can take it home with them. Has anyone else thought about doing this??? I know we don't like to think about death, but it is coming to all of us.
Actually, I have mine picked out. It is my Memory Quilt that I made about six years ago. Then I would like to be flanked by the quilt my grandmother made me, the quilt my mother made me, my Virtuous Woman quilt that I made and the quilt I made for my husband.

I think it is a fantastic idea. Edie
Old 10-16-2011, 01:53 PM

Love this idea.
Old 10-16-2011, 01:59 PM

I started a crocheted bed spread years ago out of cotton thread. I joke that it's big enough to cover me when I die so it will be used! No one thought it was funny! Seems to me it would be better than flowers!
Old 10-16-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Lacelady

My dad insisted that we spend as little as possible on his funeral - he had a strong opinion on the kind of profits funeral directors seemed to want. He even wanted us to find him a cardboard coffin
I'm not even going to suggest a cardboard box to my dad. He thinks funerals are a waste of money and told us to throw him in a burlap sack and throw in a hole we dig in the yard so he can still fertilize the yard once he's gone (he and my mom have a lawncare business).

But I do like the idea of a quilt instead of flowers. My grandma wanted donations to her church building fund instead of people sending flowers for her funeral, but sadly, only her sister and one other couple sent donations to the church, everyone else sent flowers (her only living sister sent flowers as well) I just wish people would honor others even in death and do as they wish. But funerals are quite expensive as it is, a quilt is one way to make it a little less expensive on those we leave behind
Old 10-16-2011, 02:18 PM

I think it is a wonderful and loving idea. I would love to have had one when my Mom passed away. I kept a flower, but it is so fragile that I don't even try touching it, just keep it preserved in it's box.