$35.00 for a haircut?!?!!?

Old 10-20-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by marymc
I found a stylist I love at Cost Cutters! I go to her for everything. $14.95 cuts with coupons available most of the time. Hair cut yesterday, called and got my name on the list, went in, caught up on her family and it cost $11.95. I get a color every 3 months or so and then it runs about $70 for cut and color. Check out the chains, BF goes to a salon where cuts are over $40 now. There are good stylists out there you just have to find them!
Most of the chains are own by the same company...

Here in Oklahoma Regis Hairstylist owns, Super Cuts, Smart Styles, Pro Cuts, and a few other's can't think of the names right now, I use to work for Regis and they charge a lot for Haircut but only pay there employee's, minimum wage or commission what ever the most. They made a bundle off me, but I didn't make crap...finally quit. So I tried booth rent, $75.00 week and had to buy my own products, if you don't have a clientel you make nothing, and it takes 3 years to get a clientel. So sometimes they have no choice but to charge that to make mends meet.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:41 PM

I stopped going to the pricey salon years ago. Was paying $125 for shampoo, hi-lights, low-lights, cut and blow dry. Way too much. Now my color is my own...gray. And I go to Super Cuts and pay $11.95 for hair cut only.
Old 10-20-2011, 11:33 PM

Around here they are about 15 to 20 dollars for a regular cut for a woman.
Old 10-21-2011, 12:14 AM

i paid 320.00 plus tip for a cut and hair coloring and a bottle of shampoo/conditioner they recommended for my son's wedding...I went to a place highly recommended...never asked how much...Wow was I Shocked!! It looked good but no better than my 68.00 cut and color.
Originally Posted by QuilterChick
OMG.. $250 for a cut 'n color ? I just spit out my coffee !
Old 10-21-2011, 08:24 AM

WOW this is amazing how quickly this one built to 13+ pages. My hubby and I were cutting each other's hair for several years but my style never changed so now I got to the local hair sylist and she charges $12.50 for a sr. haircut. So now I just cut hubby's hair. I used to do the full charge thing for color and cut and occasional perm but I went more casual since retirement. I still look at the nails and sigh, and wish I did them but I don't--miss them more than a current hairstyle.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:32 AM

I have to make a comment here too about shampoo. I did not discover this on my own. Do you get those little bumps on your scalp froom shampoo--or maybe it is the conditioner? Wet your hair! Baking soda and a little water in a cup--put this in your hair getting to the scalp. Let it sit a little bit and then rinse out. It is amazing! I sometimes put a little conditioner only on the ends of my hair but not always. I shampoo every day and sometimes I do the shampoo just because I am so used to it I think but really no need. Let me know if any of you try it and like it. Maybe I should put this out on reg. message as OT.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:08 PM

We are in Maine and they still need to buy more supplies. Each state is different Mass is 1,000 hrs. School was 23,000 here. If you have never been don't judge I paid 15.000 for her Mom;s education in Mass 24 years ago.
If you can't afford to go don't. Don't look for a free ride on someone elses talents.
My Dad was a Barber and Sat mornings he gave hair cuts .25. Mom was a hairdresser and gave family many free perms. When we were broke her wealthy sisters and cousins never gave her a dime only critisim. I have seen plenty. If they asked you to do a low cost house cleaning for them would you do it, Cheap?
Old 10-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

I was not judging and I am not looking for a free ride, I simply stated facts. I have a BA and I worked my hiney off for it! I am not able to work anymore, that doesn't mean I want a free ride!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Terryl
As a salon owner I want to put my 2 cents worth in here. I charge $41 for a haircut and blow dry, best price in the neighborhood I'm in. Not only is there rent/mortgage to be paid, but also city/county/stare taxes, insurance, electric, water, supplies, phone, licenses for the salon, licenses for stylists, water/coffee for clients, business cards, magazines, cleaning supplies, the list goes on and on, so I do not think the prices are outrageous, we make less than minimum wage standing on our feet all day, it's very hard work and very few stylists get rich, it's a job you have to love to stick with it.
As a business owner I know what you are saying. The market sets the price. Overprice and you won't last long, but charge a reasonable price for good work and you build loyalty. I go to a chain because I like the work of particular stylist. If she moved to another location I would probably pay the price to follow her if that was possible. We all choose how to spend our money.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:47 PM

it depends, do you go to a real salon or a chop shop? I will pay that for a real hair cut at a real salon.. I used to work a salon in NJ in 1987 and i got $24 for a cut back then. but we were very good at our service. I no longer cut hair. I refuse to work in a chop shop.... I do travel to homes and cut hair from time to time...
Originally Posted by Sandra Henderson
I am out of touch!~I went to get my hair cut today at a local salon and it is $35.00!!!~ No color. My hair is not long. Just a regular haircut. What in the world?!?! This is the normal rate around here. It doesn't take more than 30 minutes.
I made the appointment and then called back and canceled. I will not pay this. I'll cut it myself. I already went to "washing that gray right out of my hair" MYSELF... What about where you live?