Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The quilt police came to visit... >

The quilt police came to visit...

The quilt police came to visit...

Old 10-21-2011, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by collady
4. Rudeness is not a sign of intelligence, it is a sign of ignorance.
We can't help to whom we happen to be related.
Very true words. I haven't read all the intervening comments, but you did well to stand there. I think I would have stopped showing her after her first couple critical remarks. You must be a strong woman!
Old 10-21-2011, 09:46 AM

You handled this beautifully. I hope your young friend continues to come and learn from you.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by DianD
Suggestion: Call your friend, and tell her about this web board, then suggest that she share it with her (evil) cousin! After reading these posts from total strangers, Cousin It might be adjusted, just a little bit, in her attitude.
Nah, the cousing probably wouldn't have the sense to realize it was about her :!:
Old 10-21-2011, 09:49 AM

I used to work with someone that was the very same way. I used to knit and was so excited about a sweater I had made for me and wore it to work....she commented on the sweater and I had the opportunity to tell her I had knitted it ! I was so proud of me ! She immediately took to critizing the colors, the shape, how well it DIDN'T fit me, on and on......I asked her very sweetly, well, Elaine, I didn't know that you knit, have you ever done a sweater like this ? Her reply was that she didn't know how to knit......

Subsequently ignored pretty much anything she said to me after that, whether it was a compliment or not ! Actually I think I just ignored her !

That visitor is a very miserable person and hopefully someday she will realize this and hopefully change her ways, but then again, maybe not !
Old 10-21-2011, 10:29 AM

yes I have a co worker who is the quilt police.She freely tells you what she thinks is wrong with your quilt. She has yet to finish a quilt. In fact she got 12 of our co workers to make a quilt square to make a quilt as a gift for a co worker this was over a year and half ago.(it is going to be a rag quilt we did the sandwich of the square all she has to do is sew the squares together with raw edges exposed ) some one was showing her a quilt and I walk up and said watch out she is the quilt police.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:31 AM

This cousin certainly never learned the art of tack. How she had the nerve to critize your work!! I think it past time to throw her out. Do not let her stop her sweet cousin. Give her the support she will need with that cousin. Good for you!!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:32 AM

I'm proud of you for standing up for your own self; telling her the truth of the matters such as they really are, and not in her mind the way she thought it was... She is wayyyy too bold to be saying anything like that anywhere, much less in another person's home... how rude!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:33 AM

That wasn't the quilt police...that was a wannabe quilt snob...the quilt police have taken classes...this girl was just wanting to act like she knew it all.

I would have sat her down...and asked her to draw me out what she felt was a "proper quilt"...including color choice, etc...and do a block to show me what she meant. She would have ran out that door...probably never sewed a stitch in her life.

Dislike people like that...and have a few in my family.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:55 AM

I really admire how beautifully you handled that situation!!!

....this is the amazing part...
Originally Posted by collady
...and opened the door for the cousin, who left in a huff...
you were supposed to take her mouth in stride, but she got huffy? please.
Old 10-21-2011, 11:06 AM

I agree. I would have liked to have "smacked" her along side the head, to knock some sense in her, but would have refrained . You did a wonderful job dealing with the situation!