Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
The quilt police came to visit... >

The quilt police came to visit...

The quilt police came to visit...

Old 10-21-2011, 12:11 PM

Yes, you handled that better than I would have.
The nerve of that young whipper-snapper! Ignorance and rudeness come in all ages, however!
Old 10-21-2011, 12:12 PM

bravo for the way you handled the situation.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:15 PM
Power Poster

Some people absolutely cannot help themselves, they have to be critical of others or they are not happy themselves. This happened to a friend of mine recently. She and I have been making raffle quilts for our church fair for over 15 years. Two ladies from church, who every year sat on weekends to sell tickets to the church, made a very public statement that they would not sell tickets ever again, felt they had done enough. My friend shows them this year's raffle quilt, which I had made several years ago and stashed away, forgotten. I told her she could have it for a raffle quilt for a cancer patient, but she decided it would make a good raffle quilt for the fall Holiday Fair. Well, the two women had nothing positive to say about my quilt, didn't like the borders, found a spot, etc. etc. My friend and I made these quilts as our contribution to the church instead of funds, of which we had little, but sometimes it almost doesn't seem worth it. Long story short, I think you handled yourself very well and the other person should have shut up when she had the chance. Some people are so quick to judge, we just have to (as my mother often said) take it with a grain of salt and go on. The woman was above severely rude, but you were gracious in your comments at the end. Consider the source and move on.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:16 PM

GALL--she fits the definition perfectly!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:20 PM

Nice job at handling an awkward situation. I probably couldn't have kept my cool for as long as you did.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:26 PM

Hot Dog! You go girl! What courage and what clear thinking! You can know for sure that young woman will never forget her encounter with Collady! (I can see you jumping out from behind a bush in your tights and quilted cape scarring off the quilt police! Bow-Tuck on one arm full of fat quarters and a cutting mat and square up ruler in the other. I am sure there is a rotary cutter and a pair of scissors hiding in the bag for those really dangerous characters!)

I hear cheering for you and weeping for the woman who could have spent that time learning about an artistic skill and craft that has a long history from around the world. She had the opportunity to witness the gift of creativity and, she missed it. How sad.
Old 10-21-2011, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by collady
A young friend who has just started quilting called to see if she and her cousin could come visit, so the cousin could see some of my quilts. I invited them with pleasure. As soon as they arrived, the cousin begin telling me what I had done wrong on one quilt after another. The colors didn't go together. The pattern wasn't right for the fabrics. The binding should have been a different fabric. The poor young quilter was dying in front of my face. She had wanted her cousin to see that there wasn't a specific "correct" way to make a quilt. Instead we were getting a lesson on all the "incorrect" things I was doing.
I am 62 years old and made my first quilt with my grandmother when I was 10. I stood and listened to this 20 something non quilter tell me what I was doing wrong.
When she finished, I very politely asked her how many quilts she had made. NONE, she just knew what was wrong with mine. She then made a comment that I probably didn't know how to design. That is when I opened the door to the store room and begin pulling out the evening and performance gowns I had made for my daughter when she was in pageants and completions. All of which I designed and made, hand beading and all.
That didn't stop her. She made some smart comment that I had probably used a pattern or bought them and removed the labels.
At this point my young friend grabbed her cousin by the arm and tried to drag her out of the house!
I told my friend she was welcome back at any time.
Then I turned to the cousin and politely told her that:
1. I started making my own clothes at the age of 5
2. I had a degree in costume design
3. I have been designing and sewing more that three times as long as she is old.
4. Rudeness is not a sign of intelligence, it is a sign of ignorance. 5. While her cousin was welcome to return to my home at any time, I hoped that I never had the opportunity to see her again!
I then gave my friend a hug and opened the door for the cousin, who left in a huff... I laughed and cried as they went to the car! I hope my friend comes back soon. I called her later and told her I didn't hold the cousin against her. We can't help to whom we happen to be related.
A 21 year old teacher who has been in the classroom fewer than nine weeks plans to go to experienced classroom teachers and tell them what they are doing wrong. The "old" folks who aren't too angry are laughing their heads off.

Don't you know that when these young persons have some experience, they'll be blushing! froggyintexas
Old 10-21-2011, 01:43 PM

You handled that very well! I too, am 62 years old, made my first quilt when I was 12 years old, with the help of my mother.

I figured I have lived long enough not to have to suffer with fools! Evidently you feel the same way! Way to Go!
Old 10-21-2011, 01:50 PM

Amen to that. She probably saw all your georgeous designs and got a little jealous. So sorry for her.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:03 PM

I bet you would liked to have slapped her silly!!! LOL