Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Blocks of the Month and Week
Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012 >

Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Dear Jane Stickle 2d Cyber Block Party - January 2012

Old 01-01-2012, 05:37 AM

Wow everyones blocks look great. All you over achievers are killing me. I haven't started yet. I just hunted down my rulers last night. I have 2 BOM projects to finish before I can start this. One class it Tuesday night and one is the middle of the month. I have homework to finish before both classes. The one for Tuesday is almost finished. Just need to press and trim the blocks.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:39 AM

I see you have the sashing attached. Are you going to quilt row by row? If so, how does one attach the rows? I'm way ahead of myself. I have only made a couple of blocks so far but would love to quilt in sections.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:52 AM

WOW ... I got left off the notice that more posts had come in and missed about 30 posts since I last checked!

Carsey -I am in your boat I do know where the book & software are but the last time I saw my rulers was over a year ago and if I'm going to try to 'coach' people through I either have to count on someone else to take over ruler questions or buy another set quickly .... guess I could always donate the other set to my guild if it is located

and ... don't worry about people jumping ahead - some in our group [which is now at 107!!!!] already have quite a few done. Then are the bored JTG [jump the gun] gals I am not starting until the 15th [well I will try to stay a week ahead - but I will not post the blocks until the 15th]

A couple of suggestions for those who have not yet started
1. although scrappy looks great - you may want to consider the exact same fabric for all sashing. This will use up about 2 yd.

2. if you want to have a 'secondary pattern' show up in your finished quilt - such as Lesley's finished quilt or greenfairy's [http://greenfairyquilts.blogspot.com...evisited.html] you need to map out a color or fabric scheme ahead of time. Such as number of aqua fabrics, reds, yellows, greens, purples, etc to make secondary diamond show up in your finished product. I suggest graph paper or EQ. or you can use the 'design wall' created by Sharon Mastbrook found here... http://www.smastbrook.net/dj/djvdw.htm
Old 01-01-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by gls234 View Post
I see you have the sashing attached. Are you going to quilt row by row? If so, how does one attach the rows? I'm way ahead of myself. I have only made a couple of blocks so far but would love to quilt in sections.
I'm not going to do the quilt as you go. I haven't quite decide which way its gonna be yet but not that one....
Old 01-01-2012, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by sewsewquilter View Post
Love your fabric! What is the name this line of fabric?

PS. Your block looks great!
I have no idea the name of these fabrics I am using as they were bought a good 6 years ago. Sorry.
Old 01-01-2012, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by urgodschild2 View Post
I have no idea the name of these fabrics I am using as they were bought a good 6 years ago. Sorry.
No problem. Thanks for responding.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:47 PM

My DJ software arrived and I have been playing. I am thinking of making the blocks 5" finished. This brings the quilt to 90.5 X 90.5 inches rather than the 84" by 84" size when the 4.5" block is used. Is anyone else increasing their quilt size? If so, how are you accomplishing that?

Also, I love that Chocolate DJ in the gallery of DJ's on this Quilt Board. I've heard comments that Kona solids are a bit of a thicker fabric that the regular quilting fabric. Does anyone have an a suggestion for a good solid fabric I could use for the chocolate areas? I don't have experience with buying solid fabrics.

Thanks all! I am looking forward to being with you in the coming year!
Old 01-01-2012, 04:47 PM

I got my kona snow in the mail yesterday and it is very beige! I was under the impression that it was white, white. So I have been surfing and looking for another white. Any suggestions? I 'm using one royal blue fabric and want a white white to go with it. (The kona snow won't go to waste, good basic for most anything except my DJ.)
Old 01-01-2012, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
A9 made this morning attatched to A8 made by.... Carsey. Colors are coming out a little odd when I shrink down the pics to post
Your blocks look great. I finally printed the foundation patterns for our first 3 blocks. I am also working on my AOTH quilt so I will probably be behind everyone else but I really, really want to make this quilt. I've had the book for 8 years and I'm finally getting started.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by JudyTheSewer View Post
My DJ software arrived and I have been playing. I am thinking of making the blocks 5" finished. This brings the quilt to 90.5 X 90.5 inches rather than the 84" by 84" size when the 4.5" block is used. Is anyone else increasing their quilt size? If so, how are you accomplishing that?

Also, I love that Chocolate DJ in the gallery of DJ's on this Quilt Board. I've heard comments that Kona solids are a bit of a thicker fabric that the regular quilting fabric. Does anyone have an a suggestion for a good solid fabric I could use for the chocolate areas? I don't have experience with buying solid fabrics.

Thanks all! I am looking forward to being with you in the coming year!
I am making my blocks 5.5 " so my quilt will be 100" square. I am using the software from the electric quilt company and it prints my pattern to whatever size I enter under the print options. I have a king-size bed with a pillow top mattress. I am making a Lemon Jane quilt. I purchased Kona cotton in lemon yellow from Joann.com when they had a special on free shipping. I know that yellow tends to fade over the years but it is one of my favorite colors.