Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 10-27-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by cyd
Golly, I am overwhelmed by all the famous ancestors. I have no one like that, but a great grandfather was one of the last living Civil War veterans. Does that count?
And I wouldn't trade that for all the famous ancestors in the world.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:03 PM

Among my illustrious ancesters were Thomas Dudley, governor of the Massachusetts Bay Colony starting in 1634. He built the first house in Cambridge, Mass and signed the charter creating Harvard College.

His daughter, Anne Dudley Bradstreet (1612-1672) was the first published poet in the colonies.

On the historical trip to my birth there were some pretty famous names validated as relatives.....Herbert Hoover, Oliver Wendell Holmes and Justice David Souter.

On Brad's side, Bradford Washburn (1910-2007) was the founder of the Museum of Science in Boston. He was an explorer, cartographer of mountains and my husband was named for him - Bradford Washburn Gilley and our son (Bradford Washburn Gilley Jr). The link was Brad's grandmother who was a Washburn by birth.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:05 PM

This is my father's mother's family.... My grandmother, great grandmother (Eva) and great great grandmother (Emily). I never knew my gr. gr. grandmother but I did know the other two. My gr. gr. grandmother was Emily Miller, born in Pennsylvania and after she married she was Emily Miller Miller. She was Amish and so was her husband Charles Miller. According to my Great grandmother Eva, they left the Amish Community and moved to Iowa then came to NW Ohio. I remember my Great Grandma Eva very very well. She was always reading her bible and making sure that her grandchildren were well-behaved.... whether they liked it or not. Mostly they didn't. :-D

1920's
[ATTACH=CONFIG]277987[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-277934.jpe  
Old 10-27-2011, 01:07 PM

Oh my, I have enjoyed reading this. My husbands' great great uncle was with Mitchell when Mt. Mitchell(North Carolina) was discovered and had a mountain top named after him---Big Tom Mountain.

My grandfather on my Moms' side was with the KKK. Her mother accidentally found the sheet. He sired 12 living children and 2 dead at birth. He sired the last one at the age of 67.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:30 PM

My Great Grandfather was Joseph Morgan Grider He came here from Scotland sent for his mail order bride from France, her name was Lucretia, she had a glass eye, They settled in Kentucky. I hear there is a town called Griderville there.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:36 PM

Buffalo Bill Cody is my 3rd cousin. I gave my 2nd son the middle name of Cody because it was my dad's mom's maiden name!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:39 PM

On my mother's side, my great-grandfather had a 500 head reindeer herd in Finland. Gave it up to move to US before Finn-Russian relations soured. In MN, he became the 'go-to' guy for well builders back around 1910-1920. His dowsing was very accurate according to the old records and writeups we found.

On my Dad's side, my great-grandfather was a Prussian general who left the Army when he was about 38. Married a woman here and she had 15 children (all lived to adulthood).
Old 10-27-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by sewNso
pandmommy. are you sure you gr grdf divorced your gr grdma, or just took another wife? Morman's?
not Mormon. I have not actually researched it, but according to this book with the quilt in it, it was easier to secure a divorce in Colorado than back east at that time. I will have to do some research into some day.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:55 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by provbs 31
I have a mystery to put out there....in a town about 40 miles from where I live,lives a woman whom I have never met but for years people have told me about her. Apparently we look identical. A few years back I had a bi-lateral masectomy. Before I left the hospital the attending nurse commented on my twin sister who was on her floor 2 weeks ago, who also had a bi-lateral masectomy. I don't have ANY sisters! I wish I could find her.....sigh.
maybe you should put YOUR picture on here by your name - maybe she quilts, too.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:59 PM

My father is from Kentucky. He was 2 years old before they gave him a name. Growing up, I always heard people call him JB or Jim. He always said that his name was James Benjamen. It wasn't until after he died 2 years ago that my uncle told me that when my dad came to Indiana when he was 16, he changed his name, just not legally. Although his social security card has James Benjamen on it. The name that he gave up: JETHRO!