Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Opinions Needed >

Opinions Needed

Opinions Needed

Old 10-28-2011, 05:48 AM

Hi everyone.

I inherited all of Mom's crocheted linens she had made over many years when she passed on - amongst them, a whole lot of unfinished individual pieces.

As they have a Vintage, Victorian look to them, I'm thinking of up-cycling the small pieces into items I can sell - pincushions, potpourri sachets, etc.

I've attached some pics of one I made last night - it measures 5" in diameter, 15" around and 2" high.

Materials used are new except for Mom's up-cycled crochet top and it is filled with Polyester Fiberfill.

I'm also working a design for one with an enclosed grit pocket to help keep the pins sharp when in use.

Stock Styles will be made from fabrics within my stash collection however I can also make them to order in any size, shape, color, print theme requested.

I can also incorporate them into a holder such as teacup, fancy wine glass, candlestick holder, etc. Price will depend upon holder requested.

Do you think they would sell and if so, how much would you pay for a Stock Style $ ? and a Custom Order $ ?

Thanks for your input and please, be honest.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-278164.jpe   attachment-278165.jpe   attachment-278166.jpe  
Old 10-28-2011, 05:52 AM
Power Poster

They are lovely! Make sure you set aside some nice pieces for yourself to remember you Mom by though. Some bigger pieces would look nice worked into a quilt. I think I would sleep better under something hand made by my mother. Just a thought.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan
They are lovely! Make sure you set aside some nice pieces for yourself to remember you Mom by though. Some bigger pieces would look nice worked into a quilt. I think I would sleep better under something hand made by my mother. Just a thought.
Thank you for your thoughts Tartan. I have kept a big chest of Mom's finished pieces and a good number of the unfinished as well for use in some future quilts I plan on making for myself.

However, there are just so many of these in various sizes that I will never be able to use myself and I just can't bring myself to dispose of them.

Thought they might bring some cheer to others while at the same time, make a few pennies for my pocket.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

:thumbup:
Old 10-28-2011, 06:18 AM

Not good at pricing things, but I think it's lovely. It makes me think of an old fashioned Christmas tree ornament. Good luck!
Old 10-28-2011, 06:23 AM

Great idea of using up treasures. Don't forget generations to come. I have been the reciepent of many pieces of generations before me and am now making things for myself and my children and grandchildren. Isn't it interesting that I ended up with so many treasures and no one else. Funny thing they would have thrown it all away; they thought it was junk and several time Grandma would say just take this and put it away for another day; so I did and boy am I glad I did. I now appreciate those treasures so much more now. I just used a scrap of fabric from a sundress that Grandma made for me for my grandaughters sunbonnet sue quilt; she is due in Dec. It just does my heart so good. I will be making a few pincushions too-thanks for that idea of using the small doilies. Just food for thought.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:30 AM

That is a beautiful pin cushion. I don't do pricing either so can't give price, but I know plain pin cushions at the craft fair's here sell from $5.00 and up depending on size. Good luck. I also like the idea of Christmas ornaments.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:03 AM

That is really lovely. So creative.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by CoriAmD
Not good at pricing things, but I think it's lovely. It makes me think of an old fashioned Christmas tree ornament. Good luck!
Yep, I thought of Christmas ornaments when I saw your picture. Would love something like that on the tree.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Very pretty but I have no idea how they would sell. Usually the things I like don't sell. I would think perhaps that they would make nice family gifts.