Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps - what to do with them? >

Scraps - what to do with them?

Scraps - what to do with them?

Old 01-21-2012, 05:24 AM

make a crumb table runner with all the smaller scraps or just start sewing small blocks of scraps for a totally scrappy 9 patch
Old 01-21-2012, 05:44 AM

Donate them, theres always someone here that can use them.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:48 AM

My scrap idea...... Make bookmarks! I cut rows of 6 1/2'' blocks and was left with 2'' x 6 1/2'' scrap.
I was using a wavy blade in my rotary cutter so the edges were pretty. An idea was born as i saw the scrap was perfect for a bookmark. I put scrap batting between the 2 fabrics and top stitched all around. You can also quilt inside. Great way to practice your free-motion quilting or decorative stitches. I loved the look of the wavy edges, but straight edges will do, too. Oh yes!.... On some i added a ribbon to the top edge of the bookmark before edge stitching layers together.
Now you can mark your favorite quilt patterns in your books or magazines. Have fun!
Old 01-21-2012, 05:49 AM

Thank you for the mention of mile-a-minute! I am a scrapper - I love scraps more than big fabric pieces, lol. There are some amazing pictures there of the mile-a-minute quilts.
I really like this one: (not mine)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mcOeoMjjwp...nbow%2BMAM.jpg
Old 01-21-2012, 05:54 AM

Send to me.My friends and I make scappy quilts for nursing home.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:56 AM

I so understand. I get into scrappy moods where all I want to do is mindlessly sew my scrap strips together or make crumb blocks and when my scraps become too overwelming I can't work, I come down to my sewing room, look at my piles and go back upstairs.

Periodically I do a purge, send a note to my local freecycle group and ask if anyone wants scraps and crumbs. Most people don't understand what I'm talking about. One lady thought she'd be getting yardages -enough to make her daugher clothes.???? A friend makes beds for the local animal shelter and takes some of my really small pieces but people are finding out about her and she gets several tall kitchen trash bags or bigger a week from all the quilters in the area.

In fact I'm getting to that stage again. Anyone live in/near Montgomary County MD? I'll share my crumbs if you want to come to my house and pick up. PM me.

What do I do with my scraps? All my strips I sew into sets as wide as they are long, then I cut them into squares. And figure out what to do from there, actually once they are in a square it's easier to figure out how to use them.
Old 01-21-2012, 05:59 AM

Check out the stitchedincolor blog and the idea for her Bottled Rainbows quilt:

http://www.stitchedincolor.com/2011/...ip-hurrah.html
Old 01-21-2012, 06:20 AM

I have a bin where I put leftovers. After a year of picking through it for pieces for small/other projects, I put on a long audiobook and cut it all up into predetermined sizes, then throw the remainder away. When the pre-determined size box is full, I make something from it. Currently, two projects - a zig zag quilt and a Lady of the Lake from leftovers over a decade.

If you are not a scrap quilter, my suggestion is to find out who locally wants your leftovers. There are lots of groups who make charity quilts and would love your leftovers. Then you don't have to deal with it and they will have a treasure trove.
Old 01-21-2012, 06:24 AM

Send them my way. I'm like alot of other quilters on the board and love scraps. Everyone of us would pay the postage so you should PM people that would like them. Don't throw them away!!
Old 01-21-2012, 06:38 AM

I would use them as would many on this board. PM if you are interested in getting rid of some of your scrap stash.