Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need suggestions!!!! 20 old blocks from GGM >

Need suggestions!!!! 20 old blocks from GGM

Need suggestions!!!! 20 old blocks from GGM

Old 07-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pinkiris View Post
Looks like each petal of each flower is hand stitched to the thin background. If you clip those stitches, you will end up with a pile of loose flower pieces. I personally think that the hand stitches are part of the charm of the vintage quilt, so I would carefully cut around each flower, maybe leaving a 1/2" border, then think about reattaching them to a stronger material, perhaps by applique. I really like the look of those flowers!
I would be inclined to do it this way....they are really sweet blocks. Please keep us posted....you know how we love pics.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:57 AM

Madamekelly...what is bridal illusion and where do you get it?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:28 AM

I have repaired an old quilt that my grandmother made around 1900. I re-enforced the fabric with new fabric where the old fabric was coming apart. That quilt had really been used a lot! I have it on a guest bed, but every few months I find another hole in one of the pieces of fabric that I have to applique a new piece of fabric on top of. So far I have been able to almost match the patterns and colors well enough so that the repairs aren't very evident. My point in sharing this is to tell you that if you keep the old muslim (which is thinner) your quilt will not have a useful life without a lot of repair work. Consider how you will repair worn holes in the muslim as they appear after you have applied bridal illusion to the quilt if you plan on using the quilt and not just displaying it.

Bridal illusion is used to make veils for brides and is available at all shops where you can buy supplies to make veils and wedding dresses.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:42 PM

I would square up the white cloth behind the petals and fold under the edges. Then machine applique them to a new backing - like a whole cloth. Then quilt around the squares. Kind of like this one. For some reason it won't let me upload the cell phone pic of the final quilt on show.
Attached Thumbnails p1010017.jpg   p1010015.jpg