A newbie...please be kind...

Old 07-06-2012, 03:17 PM

Default A newbie...please be kind...

found a Arlington Sewing Machine, # 153424 in the cabinet, all the attachments, keys, presser feet, boxes of goodies today at a local yard sale, picked it up for $25, seems to run well, smooth, seems well used and cared for. Even has all of the original pamphlets and such...mfg'd by the Cash Buyers Union in Chicago. All I need is to replace the leather treadle power band. But have had trouble finding ANY information about this machine. Some talk of it being sold through Montgomery Ward or Sears catalogs...back in the day...Anyone have any information or know of a location to point me to in regards this machine? I intend to use it for sewing.

I also have a Necchi with all the parts, from the late 50's or early 60's I think...it's called a 'portable'...if you consider 28 lbs. portable..lol Have found a place for a users manual and am awaiting its showing up in the post.

Looking forward to learning more about these machines and getting to know the folks here....
Old 07-06-2012, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by oldmanriver1951 View Post
found a Arlington Sewing Machine, # 153424 in the cabinet, all the attachments, keys, presser feet, boxes of goodies today at a local yard sale, picked it up for $25, seems to run well, smooth, seems well used and cared for. Even has all of the original pamphlets and such...mfg'd by the Cash Buyers Union in Chicago. All I need is to replace the leather treadle power band. But have had trouble finding ANY information about this machine. Some talk of it being sold through Montgomery Ward or Sears catalogs...back in the day...Anyone have any information or know of a location to point me to in regards this machine? I intend to use it for sewing.

I also have a Necchi with all the parts, from the late 50's or early 60's I think...it's called a 'portable'...if you consider 28 lbs. portable..lol Have found a place for a users manual and am awaiting its showing up in the post.

Looking forward to learning more about these machines and getting to know the folks here....
Welcome. If you are able to post a picture of your Arlington I am sure that someone here can give you more information. We love pictures! BTW, Newbies are always welcome and we are all great enablers if you think you need/want another vintage sewing machine.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:35 PM

Hi old man river, is there a better name you'd rather be called? Welcome!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:35 PM

Howdy and welcome, from Texas!
Old 07-06-2012, 03:58 PM

Welcome from SW Missouri. I know you will enjoy being a member of this board, it is loads of fun and very informative and inspirational!!
Old 07-06-2012, 04:05 PM
Power Poster

Welcome from WI.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:07 PM

They are right! Everyone here is friendly, helpful and are wonderful enablers of the addiction to collecting. We started with 1 treadle and are now up to 12 machines. We'll have great fun restoring them this winter. Welcome to the fun!
Old 07-07-2012, 05:14 AM

I only have one Singer 28K and a treadle Singer in a small cabinet both in storage waiting for our return to the UK. I have bought a couple of miniature machines though. Would love to collect more but DH says we will be short on room when we move back home! Welcome to this site, I am a relative newcomer but read it every day and have found so many hints and tips it is amazing. Enjoy.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:36 AM

hello.. and welcome from south carolina
Old 07-07-2012, 05:47 AM

Welcome to the best group ever. Take a seat, drink a cup of coffee, share ideas, show your work, and ENJOY, ENJOY. We look forward to seeing more of your posts.