Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Miss You All & the Block Exchanges! >

Miss You All & the Block Exchanges!

Miss You All & the Block Exchanges!

Old 07-21-2012, 02:32 AM

Originally Posted by mom-6 View Post
Understand what you mean about deadlines taking the fun out! Maybe that's why I have Christmas/birthday quilts that are 1-2 years late...and still not finished. LOL!
Whew! I was afraid it was just me. I "owe" so many quilts it's not even funny. And I don't know about you, but then they start to feel like chores instead of fun to me. I think getting into them will erase that feeling but having them hanging over my head (which is of my own doing) is the pits!

We haven't met but hi... I'm Rebecca!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:30 AM

When it seems overwhelming, think of the happiness on the face of the people you have given a quilt to!!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by heyjami View Post
I can't believe how much I've missed the board! I've been drowning in my new Engineering job. I was doing those Boomerang swaps and really getting in great practice for my paper piecing skills.

But then I found myself with a ton of UFO's (lots of blocks from swaps but no tops/quilts) so I set my goal to finish those tops before doing another swap. But what happened is that I quit sewing all together!

What is it about swaps that gets us to dig into our stash and pattern books and then do other quilting projects? I may not be finishing my UFO's but oh well, I'm building a big pile of UFO options! hee hee

I wish there was a SWAP that made me finish these UFO's. I have 2 quilts that need to be stippled and I really should start with them. Ever notice how much of a cramp it puts in your quilting MoJo when you try to "schedule" or "plan" the projects? I really just have to let it all go and do what feels right that day (and then somehow I get a ton done!).

I suppose that's right, since the rest of my life is all about planning/scheduling/etc (I live by my Outlook calendar most days). So my soul-enriching hobby must be completely uninhibited by schedules and task lists. haha

Have you all found this to be true too? Creativity is cramped in the sewing room when there are too many requirements imposed? Like promised presents, finishing UFOs, etc.
I try not to let my creativity to get stifled. I always keep several projects going and I love trying new things. I also love it when I finish about 3 different projects in just a short time so that I have that feeling of accomplishment. Don't let the job bog you down. When you settle in for the evening, sit with some cloth in hand. It is sooooo relaxing!
Old 07-21-2012, 04:51 AM

This is precisely why I turn down all requests to make quilts for anyone but myself. I work by inspiration alone and hate to be told (even by myself) what I "must" work on. I've done 3 quilts in the past as special orders and didn't enjoy working on any of them even though they were sold. That's also why i always have 3 or 4 (or more) quilts going all at the same time.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick View Post
This is precisely why I turn down all requests to make quilts for anyone but myself. I work by inspiration alone and hate to be told (even by myself) what I "must" work on. I've done 3 quilts in the past as special orders and didn't enjoy working on any of them even though they were sold. That's also why i always have 3 or 4 (or more) quilts going all at the same time.
I agree with you wholeheartedly.. I enjoy working on the projects, and not have restraints on my creativity, and time.. I want the recipient to be surprised.. I also don't like using someone else's patterns, as I don't want my work compared.. I have a habit of changing things as I go along when I find I don't like something..
Old 07-21-2012, 05:03 AM

I have so many balls in the air that I think if I actually did finish something in its entirety my world would come crashing down. I'm so ADD that I start something and get distracted from it only to start something else etc etc. The only quilts I have actually completed are ones that I didn't have to follow directions. That works for me because then I decide when enough is enough and I can then sandwich and bind. But the organized ones... the ones where I have to follow a pattern are so very difficult that it is really crazy! Then again maybe I'm the one who is crazy! ha ha. Doing things this way either keeps things fresh or keeps me from getting bored. Who knows. I also read 4 or 5 books at the same time as well.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:16 AM

My goal for 2012 was to finish UFO's and not buy any new projects, only buying what I need to finish a project. Well, I made it through Jan and Feb and then I bought part of what was needed for a new project and then came April and I bought for 2 new new projects and then came June and July and same thing. However, I have finished 6 queen/king quilts and some smaller projects so I guess I have done ok so far. We'll see what the rest of the year brings.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:15 AM
Power Poster

We have a UFO of the month challenge currently going on the board- maybe try that to see if it helps get you motivated ?
http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...a-t171904.html

I always have multiple projects going on at one time
Old 07-21-2012, 07:27 AM

Hello Rebecca and everyone who responded!! Great to chat.

I'm kind of sitting in the place where I'm not sure if I want to resolve the "problem" - it's a bit of stubbornness on my part - maybe my hobby is all mine and not intended to benefit anyone else. ;-)

I'll check out that UFO Challenge. Today I will reorg my quilt room (why does everyone try to dump their junk in my room! as if I wouldn't notice!). Then we'll see what's next. Maybe finish my aunt's wedding quilt. And reward myself with doing 1 new block after stippling a few hours.

Hmmm... an idea is forming!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:38 AM

There are so few things in life we can control, at the very least it should be our hobby....because my quilt/sewing studio is on the second floor (and heat rises) I tend to do less sewing (by choice) during the summer, and more hand work sitting on the sofa.....and then once the weather changes....I am back upstairs....If I am making a quilt for an occassion (Christmas, Baby etc) because I know me, I estimate the time needed and then double it.....really seems to help, as of late I am finishing ahead of time....