Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
I Can NOT Get the wrinkles out of my fabric--no matter what.  Do I toss it? >

I Can NOT Get the wrinkles out of my fabric--no matter what. Do I toss it?

I Can NOT Get the wrinkles out of my fabric--no matter what. Do I toss it?

Old 09-09-2012, 05:16 AM

When I dry long yardages of fabric I put several dry towels (as close to the color as possible as in white with white, dark color - dark towel) in the dryer with the wet fabric. It seems to keep the fabric from twisting and knoting and make less wrinkling. Geez, if you are completely unable to get the wrinkles out, use it on something else. I would definitely let the LQS know about it even it they were horrible with customer service. Get the name and manufacturer of the product and let us know. We'll get the word out about it!
Old 09-09-2012, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
This is definitely the best answer. If it doesn't work, drink the vodka.
Seriously, I don't think you'll see the creases once it's been quilted, as the squares are so small.
I totally agree
And back at you on "yer lum reeking"! I'm frey Dundee!
Old 09-09-2012, 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter View Post
Tracy - to you occasionally spray into your mouth? LOL After a while I wouldn't care about any wrinkles - face or fabric!
Funny, I was wondering the same thing.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:01 AM

Someone mentioned the burn test. If you don't know what you're looking for:

If it's 100% cotton, when the fiber is burning, it'll smell like burnt wood. Cotton is a plant.

If it has some polyester in it, you'll get some melting in there.

In case anyone wants to know - if you burn 100% wool, it'll smell like your hair burning - but then, you are burning sheep's hair.

If the fabric has polyester in it, the wrinkles might be heat set in from too hot of a dryer maybe??? If the wrinkles are heat set in, don't know if they'll ever come out.....
Old 09-09-2012, 08:40 AM

cut your lose and buy some new fabric. I would not risk putting the time and effort into a quilt with that questionable quality fabric.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Missus Fear View Post
I have that same problem with my face! But really, get an old spray bottle and fill it with cheap vodka and water (I use 1 part vodka and 2 parts water). Got that advice from someone here and I may never go back to commercial starch!
So after you drink the vodka and water, do your eyes see the wrinkked fabric in a new light? LOL. I am going to try that. (It just tickled my funny bone)
Old 09-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Vinegar and water works great!
Old 09-09-2012, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Knitette View Post
This is definitely the best answer. If it doesn't work, drink the vodka.
Seriously, I don't think you'll see the creases once it's been quilted, as the squares are so small.
Another reason I love y'all on this board!! I've laughed so much about this that I've been reading the responses to my long suffering DH as he tries to watch golf!
Right now I use either starch or water, depending on what's near but I'm ditching all these and going with the vodka & water
Old 09-09-2012, 02:38 PM

If your fabric is wrinkling now and won't iron out, it will do the same thing each time it is washed. You don't want that, so toss it. Quilting is too much work to have wrinkles all the time.
Old 09-09-2012, 04:17 PM

Default Getting the wrinkles out

Mix half white vinegar & half water in a spray bottle, spray the fabric until damp. Iron... this works for me all the time. I've used it for years and years. Marge

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
So I am making a quilt that calls for a lot of white on white fabric. I have purchased 4 different fabrics to use. One fabric (I don't know the brand because it isn't marked on the selvage) came out of the dryer (mostly dry but a little bit of dampness) with quite a few wrinkles. It was a one yard cut. I immediately sprayed it with Best Press and pressed/ironed it and virtually all the wrinkles stayed.

It has been sitting for a few days and I was going to start cutting it up today but it still has so many wrinkles and areas that look kind of "pebbled" from where it was probably pretty damp and then dried with the iron. I tried ironing it again just now and it doesn't seem to be helping anything. It is like these wrinkles and pebbling are virtually permanent.

I cut a smaller strip of this same fabric last month to test the block and it did the same thing only worse since it was such a small piece it wrapped all up in its self. I have purchased 7 yards of this fabric so I am pretty dismayed that this happend.

The good news is that the biggest piece of this fabric will only be 1 1/2 inches square (it is for an omigosh) so it probably won't be super noticable.

After it is finished and quilted and then washed, I am wondering what this will look like. Should I proceed or toss it and get something else?