Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Rowenta Iron Caught Fire!!! >

My Rowenta Iron Caught Fire!!!

My Rowenta Iron Caught Fire!!!

Old 03-18-2013, 02:39 PM

Default Rowenta focus dz5080 iron

My iron of 3 1/2 years smelt like something was burning. Soon after the funny smell , smoke came out around the sole plate. I quickly unpluged it. After cooling , I plugged it in again and it no longer heats.

Owners of this model Rowenta should be aware that this has happened to others. I can't find a recall on this model.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:03 PM

Ditto, my Rowenta was about 3 years old when one day it got real hot with steam pouring out like crazy, heard a pop! and it doesn't go on any more. After it cooled down I through it in the trash. It had already been leaking a lot so I wasn't really happy for what I had paid for it. Then, a similar thing happened to the twin to it that I bought my Mom.

I'm still using a Rowenta Iron I bought at a silent auction at work for $1. Had to clean the sole plate but it has worked great for me for a couple of years now. But with the experience my Mom and I both had, I will never get another Rowenta. Too expensive for the quality and safety issues.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 PM
Banned

I hope everyone who has had difficulty with these (or any) irons will call the company. All iron companies, especially the one being discussed, thinks their's is the best and there is never any problem. We have been using their small portable in classrooms and the retractable handle keeps breaking.
Old 11-13-2020, 06:11 PM

Angry Rowenta iron over heated

Burnt my ironing board cover instantly. Brand new iron only ironed one shirt . The next day went to use it and made a awful cracking should and smelled of burnt wires.
Old 11-13-2020, 07:25 PM

I would NOT use it again. Too dangerous.
Old 11-14-2020, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by bettyboop32953 View Post
I purchased a Rowenta Focus DZ5080 several years ago. I absolutely loved my iron. It started leaking, but was way past warranty, so I just lived with it. I spent a lot of money for this iron and couldn't just throw it away. Yesterday, the iron started smelling funny and I got up to check the garage, thinking my husband was doing something. Then I decided that I had scorched some synthetic ribbon when ironing some quilt blocks. The smell was strong, so I unplugged it to cool and clean the face plate. While sitting on my kitchen counter, I plugged it in and it caught on fire at the base, inside the iron! Wow, I hate to think of what could have happened if I had stepped away waiting for the iron to heat up.

I did some research and found that many (115 so far) of the Rowenta irons have been reported catching fire. I could not find a recall notice on the Consumer Safety website. I have emailed the Rowenta corporation about this. I don't expect any financial compensation, but I am very concerned that someone could get hurt or worse. Has this happened to any of you?
I had a Roweta iron that also caught on fire, after it started leaking. I was like you. I was on old one be cost to much to throw away though.
Old 11-14-2020, 05:01 AM

My Olisa caught fire, luckily I was able to smother it with the fabric I was ironing and I yelled to my husband to bring a fire extinguisher. Olisa said it was out of warranty, didn't even ask me to send photos of it, didn't want the model number, just didn't care.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:33 AM

Mine have leaked so in the trash they went. I do not purchase Rowenta irons anymore. I don't trust them.
Old 11-15-2020, 07:39 AM

I always unplug my iron after using - just a habit I am into.
Old 11-15-2020, 09:50 AM

I unplug my iron when not in use. I does have an auto shut off but I don’t trust it. Old habits diehard.